Modified a current resource and broke the page

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

royale
Novice Crafter

Modified a current resource and broke the page

Post by royale » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:31 am

I was trying to remove a resource that I submitted incorrectly (spelling was wrong). Problem turned out that my way of removing it was flawed, and now any page that shows Ahazi->Lok resources has errors at the top. =/

I chose to "Edit resource" and then just deleted every field (including the name and type) for the resource. Well, it disappeared from the "Current resources" list, but like I said, now the Ahazi main page and the page for Lok have errors.

Hope I didn't screw anything up too badly... What is the best way, for future reference, to delete an incorrect resource from the system? Or should I have just edited it to the correct name? (I didn't do that because someone else had already entered the correct spelling on a different planet and I wasn't sure what would happen if I just changed the name of mine to the correct one.)

Thanks for a great site! Sorry for messing it up, Ahazi!

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Modified a current resource and broke the page

Post by Sobuno » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:44 am

Should be removed now, hope .com doesn't sync it back

The correct option would be the "Remove" link, found by each planet. When removed from the last planet, it also removes the resource from the database.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:44 am

As you self-appointed, nit-picky Q/A :P

Does this qualify for a user input error check? If all or any input field goes from filled to empty >> warning or error?

My experience while doing the .com site was that some users did weird things, especially so while new to the site or to the feature. Obviously not everyone of them happily reported the errors as royale bravely did :)

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Zimoon wrote:As you self-appointed, nit-picky Q/A :P

Does this qualify for a user input error check? If all or any input field goes from filled to empty >> warning or error?

My experience while doing the .com site was that some users did weird things, especially so while new to the site or to the feature. Obviously not everyone of them happily reported the errors as royale bravely did :)

/Z
The Edit page does require an overhaul, just need to find time to do it :/

-Sobuno

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:19 pm

You are doing just fine, for a Beta site this is awesome :)
We just add to your backlog :P
/Z