About My Guards

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

cranko
Novice Crafter

About My Guards

Post by cranko » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:26 am

Im no sure how my guards works, i just try to ad some guard to test it but the results looks like doenst work well. Maybe you guys can give me a hand to understand how to make it works.
-----------------------
Resource Gas
Type Plain
Threshold N/A
Calc no-stat No

CD 50
OQ 50
-----------------------

On this exemple, i just try to know when some gas have thats stats, but when the email come give me lots of Gas resources and some have low stats than i want to get.

I just want give me the minimun and up of those and ignore the rest.

Thank you in avance

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: About My Guards

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:33 am

I assume this is about this site and not SWGAide but since the two works the same you have created a plain guard and set OQ=50 as the lowest acceptable value. Only gases with OQ 49 and lower will be filtered out.

I guess you wanted to create an experimental/weighed guard, not a plain guard, right?
Then you need to provide a threshold and in this particular case you must set Calc no-stat=YES because no gas has CD.

Does this help?
Otherwise, install SWGAide and read the help text for the Current Resources page 8) ;)

/Zimoon

PS: To really be able to help you we'd better be told what your end goal is. I mean, exactly how you define a guard very much depends on what work it is expected to do.

A plain guard: a very limited use because they do not help schematics per se. My only use of plain guards is when I want to know that a certain resource class spawns, then I have one for that class and set OQ=1 and it will alert whenever...

A weighed guards: highly useful because this is what schematics use. In SWGAide, at the schematics page -> Resource Use, select a schematic and at the resource class, right-click and select create guard (LQ or HQ) and you will get one that is pre-filled for the selected context. Or at the Current Resources page, select a resource class in the upper/right tree of classes, right-click and create a guard --- here you must manually fill in all details. The schematics panels will be improved but time and missing data is delaying this.

cranko
Novice Crafter

Post by cranko » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:20 am

Thank you Zimoon for you reply.

Im not sure of the difference between plain guard and weighed guard, and yes is about the site and experimental guard. In case use the weighed one... what i need to provide? What mean need to provide a threshold? :oops:

Sorry about that but Im new on crafting stuff and its very complex in the first approach, almost as much as explain this things in english.

Anyway, i will install SWGAide to check how works now.

I want to say thanks to all of this awesome community of crafters.

Cranko

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:55 pm

I am sorry I forgot to say "Welcome to the SWG crafting fan site!!!" so better late than never, welcome :)

Here is the difference:

A plain guard...
...filters on the value, period (personally I rather call these "filters"). To my knowledge it does not consider possible caps that might be imposed on the stat. Example:
Desh Copper, CD=500 and OQ=500
This guard will show up only when a Copper spawns with both CD and OQ above 500. The more stats you have included the less likely that you will find anything. You think that you must also familiarize yourself with caps for resource classes. That is read in the Beginners' Guide for Traders at the General Crafting forum and also visualized in SWGAide :)

A weighed guard...
...is more similar to what you see in schematics. The values are in percent and sum up to 100 and you usually just grab an experiment line from the schematic. These guards also consider caps for each of the stats of the specified resource class. Example:
Desh Copper, CD=50 and OQ=50 which means a weight of 50% for CD and for OQ. Here you also specify a threshold, let us say 800 (which equals 80% quality, a weighed quality).
This guard will alert when 50% of CD + 50% of OQ >= 800.

A simple example on the math for a weighed guard:
Assume the resource class is Mineral, a resource class without caps for CD or OQ.
The above guard would work like: 50% of CD + 50% of OQ and assume you have some kind of resource with CD=500 and OQ=800. This gives 50% of 500 = 250, 50% of 800=400, so 250+400=650 and "no", the guard will not alert because 650 is way less than 800.

Assume the guard for Desh Copper and that the resource with CD=500 and OQ=800 really is Desh Copper.
Now we meet something interesting because the guard will first "translate" the 500 to relative the upper cap for CD for Desh Copper. The cap for CD is 572 so now 500 is not that bad after all: 500/572*1000=874. Now, 50% of 874 is 437, and 50% of 800 is 400 ---> 437 + 400 = 837. Now the guard will alert :D

However, let us go back to Inorganic and the same weighed guard but a resource which has CD=1000 and OQ=601. At a first sight this seems to be a lousy resource, but the guard will show it because 50% of each of the two will pass the threshold of 800. Both stats must not be above the threshold but the weighed sum of how much they contribute, and that is ruled by their percent.

Complex, huh? It is even worse, schematics use a lot more complex formula but this is explained in chapter 8 in the beginners guide.

So, for guards, use the %%% values you read in the schematics, use Calc No-stat, and use a threshold of 800 for something you do not have in inventory and increase it when you stock up until you have it at 960. Harvest everything above 960 ;)

The Calc No-stat is the same as "the golden rule" in the beginners guide, the guard will accept a resource that lack the stat as long as at least one stat is present. And it will use a value that is correct from the way SWG handles such a resource. Example: a schematic may call for Chemical and lets say OQ=50% and SR=50%. Lubricating Oil does not have SR, other chemicals do, but SWG happily accepts Lub Oil in this slot. Notice that it has OQ, so if OQ is high enough 50% of that value is great, perhaps better than that Polymer you have with good OQ and good SR but the two not as good as the Lub Oil.

However, if the schematic calls for Chemical 50% each of SR and UT then the Lub Oil would not be good at all. The schematic would accept it but the end result would not be good at all because it is supposed to fill at least one stat. This more or less exemplifies the golden rule.

Have fun

Zimoon

cranko
Novice Crafter

Post by cranko » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Thank you, now i understood how i can make the good guards!