Luck does NOT affect powerups.

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on Reverse Engineering.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Phonelesscord
Novice Crafter

Luck does NOT affect powerups.

Post by Phonelesscord » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:17 am

Witnessed someone using the 4k luck bug, it had no noticeable affect on powerup value and the amount of uses.

So there you go, luck does NOT affect powerups.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Luck does NOT affect powerups.

Post by Zimoon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:30 am

With no "noticeable effect", what exactly to you mean by that?

Our assumption has been that Luck had an effect, though limited and probably on a diminishing return. We have thought that the formulas have been correct and that Luck just affected the magic X which had fluctuated around 1.00, possibly by making the variance for X the smaller so that real life fortune had less of a scope.

That is, if our assumptions are correct you need to provide a lot more data to prove them wrong. That is, many RE-crafters say that there is a difference between Luck 500 and 1000, and between 1000 and 1400; however, the higher the less of a difference. What you say, I guess, is that between 1400-1500 and 4000 there is no "noticeable effect", right? Or was the comparison between, let's say 500 and 4000?

More, how many attempts was made at the different levels of Luck? 10? 100? 1000?
For something on a diminishing return and already at really high values I suggest that to state something true or false there must be 1000 or more. Why? Since if the difference is 0.5% at a certain high level, that is just 5 in 1000, real life happenings not accounted for, which nobody will ever notice in series of just a few or a hundred.

Please take my post seriously and not as my attempt to show you off, I really mean what I wrote out of sincere interest and for the good of our knowledge base; but also very well knowing how soon some players have turned an occasional observation into "truths" upheld with fanatic strength, as if a religion. Hence I try to stay calm and wait for the real data, even if that will take years :)

/Zimoon

MoonDragn
Apprentice Crafter

Post by MoonDragn » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:15 pm

Are you saying that when you craft two powerups using the same exact buffs, clothing etc, that they will turn out differently?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:55 pm

MoonDragn wrote:Are you saying that when you craft two powerups using the same exact buffs, clothing etc, that they will turn out differently?
If you are asking me, yes, why not? As long as there is a stated random factor it can. Why is that otherwise that it is so hard to get you REChance PUPs up to 11, but not so hard once you have finally made your suit perfect and finally have all of those +11 PUPs working for you? Should RE be much different than any other crafting where real-life randomness has always played jokes with us? I am just asking, don't ill me ;)

/Zimoon

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:18 pm

In fact there have been a couple dev statements which have said luck does affect them.

It is most likely on a diminishing return scale -- that has been evidenced in several ways during testing.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

jallen18
Novice Crafter

Post by jallen18 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:31 pm

I have to say, I did create a 111 Strength powerup using the bugged entertainer buff (around 5100 Luck IIRC), unfortunately, I didnt get to do any other testing with it.. What is the cap for base stats on pups?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:04 pm

There is no cap what we know of, just the formula in the stickied guide "RE 101", but practical experience tell that 111 is good. I have heard of better but it is expected and OK.

/Zimoon