N00b error now resolved, thanks!

Moderator: Forum Moderator

BadgerSmaker
Novice Crafter

N00b error now resolved, thanks!

Post by BadgerSmaker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:13 am

A couple of times now I have entered resource stats into the res.txt and then uploaded it, then checked the site and no resource stats were uploaded, but the rest of the data was (resource name and planet of spawn etc).

Sometimes I can just copy/paste the res.txt from my /note res to wordpad when this happens, then I close SWG aide, open it again, have it create a new res.txt based on what the resources are on the site after my upload (with no stats) then copy/paste the stats from wordpad into the new /no res, overwriting what was there and then submitting this to SWG aide again.

This time I closed the /no res on the SWG client during the upload and it was empty when I went to copy/paste my data entry to submit it again.

I don't feel like typing that all out again but I found something worth harvesting so the resource stats for Infinity will have to stay like that till I next update them in a week or so. :)

If there are any logs that can help identify this issue, I'll be happy to provide them.
Last edited by BadgerSmaker on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWG Aide resources stats not uploaded, data lost.

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:30 pm

I assume you are closing the res.txt in-game before using it in SWGAide, otherwise the outcome is most undefined. SWGAide does not over-write the file until the next time you hit the "write" button, but closing the file in-game after having clicked "load", that will make SWGAide miss out on the content.

The file is auto-saved by SWG when closing it, but I think there are some occasions when SWG saves the files while it is open, I have seen some oddities at times.

When SWGAide write the file the next time it is also backed up, but in the same folder where the res.txt is, to the name res.bak. I have been writing a new backup handler the last few days which will change this so all backup files goes to the folder named "backups" in the SWGAide main folder. Then more than one backup will be available.

I am not 100% sure what it takes to reproduce your issue. If there is anything in the logs I would appreciate it, see the folder named "logs".

Cheers
/Zimoon

BadgerSmaker
Novice Crafter

Post by BadgerSmaker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 pm

/cry

Same again.

Am I supposed to close the res.txt in the client? Is that why I have this issue?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:57 pm

Yes, SWG saves the file when you close the notepad window, automagically. Thus, close it before shifting to desktop/SWGAide to save it.

In fact, having it open while pottering with the same file in SWGAide will give undefined behavior, most probably corrupt data. Personally I always close the file whenever I do something else, and certainly when switching to desktop.

This has nothing to do with SWGAide, you would see the same thing if you opened the file in MS Wordpad or any other text editor. A few examples:
  • Open the file notes.txt (command /note notes) in-game and type "Zimoon is a fool"
    • leave the file open and switch to desktop
    • open the same file in MS Wordpad, since you realize you got it all wrong and want to replace "fool" with "cool"
    • the file will not read "Zimoon is a fool", that is since you did not close==save it in-game
  • Switch back to game and close the notepad window
    • switch to desktop
    • open the file in MS Wordpad again
    • now you see the offending text; replace it with "cool" and save the file
    • switch back to game and open the notepad window again and the content has changed
  • In-game, keep the file open
    • switch to desktop; replace "cool" with "drool" and save
    • switch back to game and ...
    • ... since the notepad is still open nothing has changed
    • close the notepad window -- in an attempt to reopen/reload it with the uncool content
    • open it again; it will still read "Zimoon is cool", that is since closing==save and in this case it overwrote the crap you wrote while out of game
You are more than welcome to suggest changes to the help-text if you find my `swenglish´ unclear :D

Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 pm

PS: the next upgrade of SWGAide will have more backup files of any notes file you edit in SWGAide, contained in the folder "backups", but SWG in itself creates not backup files 8)
/Zimoon

BadgerSmaker
Novice Crafter

Post by BadgerSmaker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Just wanted to post and say that this was indeed my fault, I didn't know I had to close note.txt in the client in order for it to save.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: N00b error now resolved, thanks!

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Badger, I forgive you just because you are who you are and I loved seeing you in London in March :D

Otherwise I would have said RTFM 8)

/Zimoon