True noob needs some help!

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Tovin
Novice Crafter

True noob needs some help!

Post by Tovin » Fri May 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in! I played SWG in beta and left when Jedi were put in the game, and decided to start again. I remember very little of the game and had some retarded questions I'm hoping ya'll can help with.

#1. Can I compete as a competent resource gatherer/part time trader without learning to pilot? Or is this now an integral part of the game?

#2. I'm on Tattooine and Gendra (I think) gave me my first quest to make meat jerky. Only I've killed worts, wamp rats, and other items and can't find any meat on them! What am I doing wrong?!?

#3. I see that I need trader experience in order to level. uhm...What is that? Is it only from creating items? Is there any reason not to use the practice mode in this case? [Edit: Also - why are artisan missions not giving me this trader experience? SO confused!]

#4. If I need to kill things in order to harvest meat is there anyway to better my combat skills while maintaining a trader/resource gatherer skill set?

#5. Is there any reason to not take explorer missions while out on artisan missions - and if there isn't, how do I know what's in my level range? I'm artisan level 6...and everything so far is purple!

Thanks for all the help guys, and *awesome* site!

T

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Re: True noob needs some help!

Post by Tech Twin » Fri May 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Tovin wrote:Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in! I played SWG in beta and left when Jedi were put in the game, and decided to start again. I remember very little of the game and had some retarded questions I'm hoping ya'll can help with.

#1. Can I compete as a competent resource gatherer/part time trader without learning to pilot? Or is this now an integral part of the game? I have no pilot skills what-so-ever. Unless you plan on being a shipwright, you'll get by just fine.

#2. I'm on Tattooine and Gendra (I think) gave me my first quest to make meat jerky. Only I've killed worts, wamp rats, and other items and can't find any meat on them! What am I doing wrong?!? turn you auto-loot off. target the corpse and pull up the radial menu, then harvest meat. There are droids and food buffs which increase your take on harvesting.

#3. I see that I need trader experience in order to level. uhm...What is that? Is it only from creating items? Is there any reason not to use the practice mode in this case? [Edit: Also - why are artisan missions not giving me this trader experience? SO confused!] yep, craft, craft, craft and the xp will come... be sure to get a ent buff to increase your XP. Also, there are lots of trader friendly collections that give nice XP.

#4. If I need to kill things in order to harvest meat is there anyway to better my combat skills while maintaining a trader/resource gatherer skill set? get a combat pet or droid. Currently pets are better but require more expertise. Droids cap at lvl 60. Hopefully this will soon be changed.

#5. Is there any reason to not take explorer missions while out on artisan missions - and if there isn't, how do I know what's in my level range? I'm artisan level 6...and everything so far is purple! not sure on this one, sorry.

Thanks for all the help guys, and *awesome* site!

T

and oh yeah, WELCOME!

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri May 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Welcome Tovin, it is good to see players from so long ago returning. :D

Its kind of good you dont remember much from back in beta and launch days, the game has completely changed since then and it will be easier for you now if you are not caught up in what used to be. :wink:

One of the great things about the game now is that there are player written guides to everything. Check out the "Game Guides" on our front page, but the place to start is Zimoon's Guide for Beginning Traders
http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewto ... ?f=6&t=460

Bookmark this, you will be coming back to reference it time and time again.

Couple answers to your questions:
  • No you dont have to be a pilot, but it is an easy way for a new Trader to earn cash till they progress higher as Traders to make salable products.
  • A Trader does get somewhat better at combat as they level. Tech Twin has given great advice on Combat Droids or pets. Another solution is that you can have two Chars per server. A lot of us make a combat char too and switch to that char if our Trader runs into something they cant handle.
  • Its no good to do the Explorer missions as a Trader. Those missions give "Combat XP", you need to do things that give "Crafting XP": the artisan missions, actual crafting and some collections.
If you have any other questions, please come back and ask. We will do our best to help you. :mrgreen:

Tovin
Novice Crafter

Post by Tovin » Fri May 01, 2009 11:32 pm

Thank you guys SO much! These answers have made today's playtime very enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to being a SWG gal. Might even make it to fan faire!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 pm

I late welcome to SWGCraft :D

If you have questions, or just want to chat, feel free...

The stickied guides replies to most questions but there is always the small stuff that is either not covered up for or that is kind of hidden in the massive amount of information 8)

Have fun

/Zimoon