Features you're absolutely longing for?

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Sobuno » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:21 pm

Are there any features you are absolutely longing for?

I have a lot of vacation time coming up (As in, no computer access), but there are a few days here and there where I am not busy and could be working on features

User avatar
Mifasa
Novice Crafter
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Bria (formerly of Tarquinas)

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Mifasa » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Hmmm, The only thing I run into that would fall into this catagoy would be "a search engine for the View Schematics page".
IE: Search by name, search by professionn excetra....
Just a thought. =)
Mifasa: Elder Master Driod Engineer
Asafim: Master Structures
Alts: Dakar, Xeker

Located on Dantoine -3243, 6736
in East Crystal Oasis.
(Tarquinas Sever)

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Sobuno » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:01 pm

Mifasa wrote:Hmmm, The only thing I run into that would fall into this catagoy would be "a search engine for the View Schematics page".
IE: Search by name, search by professionn excetra....
Just a thought. =)
You can actually (Sort of) search by name at the moment. You see, when you choose a letter (For example X), the url changes to include ?c=X. The c parameter here (short for character/category or something like that) actually just searches the database for schematics with names of this format: X* (Every schematic beginning with X). So you can actually write *House up there to search for *House* (Any schematic containing the string House). It is case-insensitive btw.

But yeah, the other one should be doable too, I'll add it to my list

User avatar
Monty Burns
Master Crafter
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:26 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:19 pm

Sobuno wrote:Are there any features you are absolutely longing for?

I have a lot of vacation time coming up (As in, no computer access), but there are a few days here and there where I am not busy and could be working on features
I would like:
1) To be able to search or sort resources by a date range.
2) To see the "Mark as completed" option on the "Current Resources (All Planets)" page because I do 90% of my updating and "marking as unavailable" from this page and its annoying/slow to have to go to each planet individually just to hit the "Mark as completed" button.
3) I would like the "Verified" function to work or go away, dont really care which. :)
4) I am not sure I like the ergonomics of the "Add Resources" page, I frequently hit the "Update" button in stead of the "Add Resource(s)" button would it be possible to move the "Update" button to a less obvious place?

How many weeks vacation did you say you had?

:)

pookerbacca
Novice Crafter
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:30 am

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by pookerbacca » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:26 pm

I love the new site - the only thing I would like to see is a resource filter function <on current resources> like they had on the old site.

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Sobuno » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:13 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
Sobuno wrote:Are there any features you are absolutely longing for?

I have a lot of vacation time coming up (As in, no computer access), but there are a few days here and there where I am not busy and could be working on features
I would like:
1) To be able to search or sort resources by a date range.
2) To see the "Mark as completed" option on the "Current Resources (All Planets)" page because I do 90% of my updating and "marking as unavailable" from this page and its annoying/slow to have to go to each planet individually just to hit the "Mark as completed" button.
3) I would like the "Verified" function to work or go away, dont really care which. :)
4) I am not sure I like the ergonomics of the "Add Resources" page, I frequently hit the "Update" button in stead of the "Add Resource(s)" button would it be possible to move the "Update" button to a less obvious place?

How many weeks vacation did you say you had?

:)
1) Added to list
2) Done, any marking as completed done on the All Planets page will also be shown on the individual planets (As you just confirmed that you updated the entire section :P)
3) Gone, can always bring it back later
4) Added a horizontal line, hope it helps you distinguish between the buttons a bit

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Sobuno » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:13 pm

pookerbacca wrote:I love the new site - the only thing I would like to see is a resource filter function <on current resources> like they had on the old site.
Can you give an example? I don't think I ever used the resource filters on the old site

User avatar
Monty Burns
Master Crafter
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:26 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:22 pm

Sobuno wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:
Sobuno wrote:Are there any features you are absolutely longing for?

I have a lot of vacation time coming up (As in, no computer access), but there are a few days here and there where I am not busy and could be working on features
I would like:
1) To be able to search or sort resources by a date range.
2) To see the "Mark as completed" option on the "Current Resources (All Planets)" page because I do 90% of my updating and "marking as unavailable" from this page and its annoying/slow to have to go to each planet individually just to hit the "Mark as completed" button.
3) I would like the "Verified" function to work or go away, dont really care which. :)
4) I am not sure I like the ergonomics of the "Add Resources" page, I frequently hit the "Update" button in stead of the "Add Resource(s)" button would it be possible to move the "Update" button to a less obvious place?

How many weeks vacation did you say you had?

:)
1) Added to list
2) Done, any marking as completed done on the All Planets page will also be shown on the individual planets (As you just confirmed that you updated the entire section :P)
3) Gone, can always bring it back later
4) Added a horizontal line, hope it helps you distinguish between the buttons a bit

2) So the two "Marked as completed" (individual planets and All resources) locations are linked?
I notice that the "All Planets" section shows as not done yet while the planetary ones have been done, I think it would get confusing if the two sections were not synchronised .

3) Not entirely gone as it is still selectable on the "Find Resources" page.

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Sobuno » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
Sobuno wrote:
1) Added to list
2) Done, any marking as completed done on the All Planets page will also be shown on the individual planets (As you just confirmed that you updated the entire section :P)
3) Gone, can always bring it back later
4) Added a horizontal line, hope it helps you distinguish between the buttons a bit

2) So the two "Marked as completed" (individual planets and All resources) locations are linked?
I notice that the "All Planets" section shows as not done yet while the planetary ones have been done, I think it would get confusing if the two sections were not synchronised .

3) Not entirely gone as it is still selectable on the "Find Resources" page.
2) Well, only linked one-way (Marking on "All Planets" => Marking on all the individual planets) as I could not quite think up how to do it the other way around properly (And it took me all of 10 minutes to do your requests :P... Well, except number one)

3) Gah, the one place I didn't look, should be fixed now

fatty
Novice Crafter
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by fatty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:31 am

Not sure if it's able to be done at the moment (I've looked for it, but can't find it) but being able to add a resource that exists on a planet to another planet.

Ie I updated Tatooine on my server the other day, then the next day had a look at Corellia. Most of the resources are the same, but I was far too lazy to type them all out again, so I only added the ones that were different. As I said, there may already be a way to do this, but I couldn't find it :( If it does exist, how does it work?

User avatar
Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:35 am

The easiest way for doing what you want is to use the text input field at the bottom of the web page Current Resources, while viewing a selected planet. There are two ways:

Example: assume you now know that resource ABC and DEF exist at Naboo and Rori, but they were only added to Tatooine the other day.
  1. Open Current Resources for Naboo and type the names of the resources in the text input field:

    Code: Select all

    ABC, DEF
    and click Add Resources, continue past the next page. That will mark them available also at Naboo. Repeat for Rori.
  2. Open Current Resources for Naboo or Rori or any other planet and type this exact text:

    Code: Select all

    swgcraft_start
    Naboo,Rori,ABC
    Naboo,Rori,DEF
    swgcraft_end
    Click Add Resources and this will add the two resource to both Naboo and Rori in one go.
The latter method shows how to add several resources at a time to several planets, for example:

Code: Select all

swgcraft_start
Tatooine,Corellia,ABC,Desh Copper,123,456,789,963,321,654,987,999
Naboo,DEF,Duralloy Steel,
Dathomir,Lok,XYZ,Polymer,
swgcraft_end
Only ABC will be added with stats, while DEF and XYZ are added without stats. Stats are written in the same order as read in game.

The good thing with this syntax is that you can use the in-game Notepad and type the name, classes, and stats there. Unless you already know, the note file is at a file path similar to C:\Program Files\StarWarsGalaxies\profiles\YourAccount\<file>.txt

/Zimoon

User avatar
Rommel
Intermediate Crafter
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Rommel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:43 am

Monty Burns wrote:I would like:
1) To be able to search or sort resources by a date range.
Add to this being able to sort the resource search results by date. I know a bunch of resources don't have a date listed, for these I hope the database has a date stamp as to when it was added to the database.

User avatar
Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Sobuno » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Rommel wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:I would like:
1) To be able to search or sort resources by a date range.
Add to this being able to sort the resource search results by date. I know a bunch of resources don't have a date listed, for these I hope the database has a date stamp as to when it was added to the database.
Yeah, everything has a date, but it is the date of when it was added to our database so any resources from 2003 to mid-2007 will probably have an incorrect date.

User avatar
Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:43 pm

At the official forum the was a WS that mentioned that having the schematics resource usage multiplied by a number would be cool to have, he had done a spread sheet for it.

I can think of two ways:

1) Have a number input field at each schematic default to one (1), but changing it dynamically changes the units of each resource times the number. Preferably without page reload ;)

2) Only have something at the shopping list.

/Zimoon

User avatar
Monty Burns
Master Crafter
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:26 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Features you're absolutely longing for?

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Sobuno wrote:
Rommel wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:I would like:
1) To be able to search or sort resources by a date range.
Add to this being able to sort the resource search results by date. I know a bunch of resources don't have a date listed, for these I hope the database has a date stamp as to when it was added to the database.
Yeah, everything has a date, but it is the date of when it was added to our database so any resources from 2003 to mid-2007 will probably have an incorrect date.
Is there no way to mark "Old Site" resources as single date (Maybe the day this site went live) and just use the date resources were registered here?
I know it would make the search pointless for a lot of "old" resources but at least it would be useful for the newer stuff.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests