How to use in-game notepad feature for this site?

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Kexi
Novice Crafter

How to use in-game notepad feature for this site?

Post by Kexi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:16 pm

I found a tiny link on the site that says you can use the in-game notepad feature to export data to here, but the tutorial is under construction. Could somebody post a quickie guide here on how to do it until the full tutorial is up? I'm finding it really tiring to take a screenshot of every resource I find, paste it to photoshop, and then manually enter the number in a large batch on the site (took me 30 mins this morning). I would be alot more including to contribute more data if there is a faster way to do this :)

PS - THIS SITE ROCKS!

KEXI: Master Weaponsmith on Flurry - Need a capped weapon? Mail me in game - SWGcraft contributors get a special discount

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: How to use in-game notepad feature for this site?

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:02 pm

I assume the Devs here mean that you can use the in-game notepad to take notes and then, later, out of game use that file and select all and paste it into the text field bottommost at the Current resources page. Then do like this:
  1. In game, open the note file with the command /note
    • If you want to use some special file name of your choice you type /note yourfilename
      This indicates you can have several different note files at your local system. Note that they are at your harddisk and not at some SOE server.
  2. Once you have typed the data you want to save, close the in-game notepad and it autosaves
  3. Find the notes file in the folder C:\Program Files\StarWarsGalaxies\profiles\yourAccountName\
    The path may differ with your Windows installation, but it is very similar to the above.
  4. From that folder you want to drag the icon onto your desktop with your right mouse button and chose Create Shortcut.
  5. Open the notes file, select all, copy the content and paste it into the text field bottommost at the page Current Resources
  6. Done
Remember that the format for pasting resources are quite sensitive, it is

Code: Select all

swgcraft_start
planet1,name1,resource class,stat1,stat2,stat3,...
planet1,planet2,planet3,name2,resource class,stat1,stat2,stat3,...
swgcraft_end
Notice that you now optionally can add the name of the planet. AT least I hope it is live, is it Sobuno?

Be very cautious with the name's spelling, it is very common that an old entry blocks new entries since the name "is in use". It is better to fail on a stat, but the name!!!

The stats are ordered exactly as they are read in game, don't worry about that.

The resource class can be abbreviated as long as it is understandable for this site, for example Dath Wat Vap (Dathomir Water Vapor), or Tat Lea Hi (Tatooine Leathery Hide). But watch out so it is interpreted correctly, I am uncertain whether this site warns on ambiguous entries.

Hopefully this will help you.

If you use ISDroids you will want to try out SWGAide, link in my signature and discussed at this forum under Third Party Utilities. It also has a handy notes file editor which spares you finding the files and the shortcuts at your desktop.

Congrats to your first two posts and welcome around :D

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Zimoon wrote: Notice that you now optionally can add the name of the planet. AT least I hope it is live, is it Sobuno?

It is live. Do remember that if you add the name of the planet(s) on one of the resources, you'll have to either add planet names for the rest of the resources or use the checkboxes on the next page (add_resources_multi2.php). If you don't add any planet names, it will use the classic Add Resources page (add_resources.php), which assumes you're adding resources for the planet whose Current Resources page you were on.

The resource class can be abbreviated as long as it is understandable for this site, for example Dath Wat Vap (Dathomir Water Vapor), or Tat Lea Hi (Tatooine Leathery Hide). But watch out so it is interpreted correctly, I am uncertain whether this site warns on ambiguous entries.

The site doesn't warn you if you input an ambiguous resource class abbreviation, it simply drops whatever you entered (So entering "Core" will just give you the standard blank entry (------------------------------)). This means that you have to be somewhat specific, but the site supports abbreviations of each word in the resource class name (As Zimoon showed with Dath (Dathomir) Wat (Water) Vap (Vapor)).
Red

Oh, and welcome around, am a bit busy at the moment, so just a short post (Doing some stuff related to resource sorting, very painful)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:48 pm

If I sloppily type Da Wa Va for Dathomir Water Vapor, but this is ambiguous with Dantoine, what then???

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 pm

Zimoon wrote:If I sloppily type Da Wa Va for Dathomir Water Vapor, but this is ambiguous with Dantoine, what then???

/Zimoon
It sets the class to Byrothsis Crystalline Gemstone. That is, if you try it out on SWGCraft.co.uk with the resource named Sobuno.

Seriously though, it ignores it. You can shorten it down to "Dan Wa" or "Dan W V" and it will recognize it correctly... Can't shorten it down to "Dan Va" though, as it wants the first few characters of each word and will thus search for Dan(Rest of word) Va(Rest of word)(Rest of name)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:59 pm

Thanks

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Zimoon wrote:Thanks
You're welcome :)

Btw. is this an error in the resource file?

<resource_type swgcraft_id="bikrt" swgID="646" description="Bilal gas Inert Gas" dr_min="105" dr_max="204" oq_min="1" oq_max="1000" />
The name that is (Bilal gas Inert Gas)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Nope, that is how it is typed in the ISDroids. You will see an error if somebody use your ISDroid import with this gas if you have it differently :P

It was Rommel that found out I think.

Another anomaly in SWG ;)

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Zimoon wrote:Nope, that is how it is typed in the ISDroids. You will see an error if somebody use your ISDroid import with this gas if you have it differently :P

It was Rommel that found out I think.

Another anomaly in SWG ;)

/Zimoon

That is really odd...

Fixed now though

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Yes, and ugly. There are several places where this gas is spelled more naturally, but in the ISDroids this spelling is there :(

/Z

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Zimoon wrote: [*]Open the notes file, select all, copy the content and paste it into the text field bottommost at the page Current Resources
/Zimoon
You also need to make sure you have a planet selected here because there is no text field at the bottom if you have "All Planets" selected.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:23 am

Monty Burns wrote:
Zimoon wrote: [*]Open the notes file, select all, copy the content and paste it into the text field bottommost at the page Current Resources
/Zimoon
You also need to make sure you have a planet selected here because there is no text field at the bottom if you have "All Planets" selected.
Thank you, sloppy of me ;)

/Zimoon

Slyvampy
Lead Developer

Post by Slyvampy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:16 am

One thing to make sure, is that your on the right planet when using this tool =]
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:40 am

Slyvampy wrote:One thing to make sure, is that your on the right planet when using this tool =]

Not if you're using the new format ;)

swgcraft_start
planet1,name1,resource class,stat1,stat2,stat3,...
planet1,planet2,planet3,name2,resource class,stat1,stat2,stat3,...
swgcraft_end

Kexi
Novice Crafter

Post by Kexi » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:57 am

Yeah the new format works great. I tried it out and it worked fine for multiple planets (I was submitting resources I found on kashyyyk and tatooine for example, and it worked great).

KEXI: Master Weaponsmith on Flurry - Need a capped weapon? Mail me in game - SWGcraft contributors get a special discount