Resource Viewing

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

ordio
Novice Crafter

Post by ordio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:57 pm

Sobuno wrote: Would have to be colored if one of the two fields got colored, right? (Seeing that one colors > 900 and the other colors > 90% of stat cap
Ahh that's true.. my thought is the value is > 900 first, and IF it is also > 90%.. well, in a sense that's the same...

What do you think?

BTW, i like the currentresources2... very neatly laid out. :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:59 pm

ordio wrote:Ie: if the value of OQ is red, then color the oq as well?

Just a thought... it was one thing i noticed that i thought might be neat to see...

Thanks!
Until somebody else responds, me do not like that. There is only a subset of schematics that have OQ as their prime stat. Many do not use OQ at all.

Extra color to pages should in this case just take away the immediate attention to the bold and colored numbers.

In this case I vote against the suggestion, but it is good to see suggestions and I welcome them, keep them coming.

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:03 pm

Interrupted by my kids before posting so...

I suggest against any extra coloring of the pages, that will just take away attention from what is important.

The golden rule in all GUI, user friendliness and GUI affordance is KISS == Keep It Simple Stupid.

Yes, I know some people personally love colors everywhere, but that is seldom the most practical way and in the end of the day those gewgaws never gain any rewards or prices. Simplicity and clarity rules, all day long.

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:10 pm

Zimoon wrote:

Just a thought... it was one thing i noticed that i thought might be neat to see...

Thanks!
Until somebody else responds, me do not like that. There is only a subset of schematics that have OQ as their prime stat. Many do not use OQ at all.

Extra color to pages should in this case just take away the immediate attention to the bold and colored numbers.

In this case I vote against the suggestion, but it is good to see suggestions and I welcome them, keep them coming.

/Z
Well, as far as I understood, OQ was just an example :P Could be any of the other stats too (He's talking about the two-letter abbreviation being colored)

ordio
Novice Crafter

Post by ordio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Zimoon wrote:

Thanks!

/Z
I wasn't trying to be specific to OQ... My thought was to be in generic terms...

Ie: the DR value is RED, and so is the HR. so, coloring the value and % under DR and HR would show as it is now... the only difference is that the column header "DR" and "HR" would also be colored... afterall, the values below are already colored, why not put the header too so that its much more noticable when looking at it.

I will agree that i wouldn't want to color everything...

I'm a scanner, so when scanning, i would have noticed the difference in colors very fast... but as i was scanning i had to see WHICH one was higher.

Like you said though, it's just a suggestion... and not everyone would probably like this suggestion of mine. :)

As a programmer, etc, i know the KISS rule... otherwise to my users they would have no clue how to do anything without a great GUI. lol.

ordio
Novice Crafter

Post by ordio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:15 pm

Sobuno wrote:
Well, as far as I understood, OQ was just an example :P Could be any of the other stats too (He's talking about the two-letter abbreviation being colored)
Yes, that's what i meant :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:05 pm

ordio wrote:... but is it possble to color the header of the data as well?
I see it now, I misread that as the header line for that resource or class, the table header.

I get it and beg my pardon :)

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:16 pm

BTW. did you see the fancy "NEW" icon I made? (New is based on some number in the phpBB system, so might not be new)

ordio
Novice Crafter

Post by ordio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:19 pm

Sobuno wrote:BTW. did you see the fancy "NEW" icon I made? (New is based on some number in the phpBB system, so might not be new)
Now that you mention it, i did notice it... i thought that was a neat idea!

Is that based on the last time i logged onto the site? or certain timeframe? (i probably answered my question already... logging onto the site... )
I like it!

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:21 pm

ordio wrote:
Sobuno wrote:BTW. did you see the fancy "NEW" icon I made? (New is based on some number in the phpBB system, so might not be new)
Now that you mention it, i did notice it... i thought that was a neat idea!

Is that based on the last time i logged onto the site? or certain timeframe? (i probably answered my question already... logging onto the site... )
I like it!
Well, snooping around the phpBB code, I got the impression that it is based upon the last time you logged in.

I think I am going to make a "Mark all resources seen" feature though, that puts a cookie unto your computer with the current timestamp and new will then be regarded as being entered later than that.

The idea comes from the guy who suggested the redesign :P

ordio
Novice Crafter

Post by ordio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:24 pm

Sobuno wrote:
Well, snooping around the phpBB code, I got the impression that it is based upon the last time you logged in.

I think I am going to make a "Mark all resources seen" feature though, that puts a cookie unto your computer with the current timestamp and new will then be regarded as being entered later than that.

I think that is a great idea! Although, would it be possible for that to happen automatically? Even if its a config option in your profile?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:26 pm

ordio wrote:
Sobuno wrote:

I think that is a great idea! Although, would it be possible for that to happen automatically? Even if its a config option in your profile?
Well, the problem with this would be that my suggestion would "Mark all resources on every planet on every server seen" which would mean that on page-refresh, every NEW tag would disappear

ordio
Novice Crafter

Post by ordio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:29 pm

Sobuno wrote:
ordio wrote:
Sobuno wrote:

Well, the problem with this would be that my suggestion would "Mark all resources on every planet on every server seen" which would mean that on page-refresh, every NEW tag would disappear
Ah yeah. i see what you mean... that is true...

Mark all resources seen (or maybe based on which planet you are viewing or all)... or was it going to be a generic all?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:36 pm

ordio wrote:
Sobuno wrote:
ordio wrote: I think that is a great idea! Although, would it be possible for that to happen automatically? Even if its a config option in your profile?
Ah yeah. i see what you mean... that is true...

Mark all resources seen (or maybe based on which planet you are viewing or all)... or was it going to be a generic all?
Was going to be a generic all.... But I might think of a more advanced system anyhow.... Would require more work though

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:39 am

Another day and this thread has grown quickly :)

The mark seen can either be a mark-them-all button. Buttons for this purpose are seldom really user friendly as they require an action.

It could rather be something such as new since 1 (6/12/24 ?) hours ago, sliding window. Or better, since of the previous time the user logged in, which requires the engine to keep the previous login time during the session.

That would of course make the new resources marked as new all that time during a session, whether seen or not. That is inevitable unless somebody fancy implementing the huge db to keep seen/unseen resources ;)

/Z