Import/Export Tools

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Maned
Novice Crafter

Import/Export Tools

Post by Maned » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:57 pm

Hi all,

I got 2 questions about Import and Export of resource data.

1) Will there be a RSS-Feed allowing me to monitor recent changes or available resources of my galaxy?

2) Will there be a handy tool to upload data right from the game? It could make a screenshot from the game and using an OCR algorithm to filter textual content and upload it to this server.

Regards,

Maned

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Import/Export Tools

Post by Sobuno » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:08 pm

1. Might be possible :)

2. That goes beyond my experience in programming (I only know PHP rather well), but any user could freely make such a program

thgilsrooc
Novice Crafter

Post by thgilsrooc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:41 pm

In my experience, unless you're dealing with corporate level programs, OCR's are quite lacking in the consumer layer. Usually, an import will require user input to fix, which defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Secondly, one would have to do a screenie of every resource sampled just for the upload, and that sounds like more work than it is worth, to be honest. I think an easy method would be to import via the notes.txt file in the profile. /snip
Last edited by thgilsrooc on Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thgilsrooc
Novice Crafter

Post by thgilsrooc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 pm

If yall could institute a RSS feed for resources, I'm SO there! Makes things easier for us while we're at work or screwl *cough* school. HAHAHAHA

Maned
Novice Crafter

Re: Import/Export Tools

Post by Maned » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:29 am

Sobuno wrote:1. Might be possible :)

2. That goes beyond my experience in programming (I only know PHP rather well), but any user could freely make such a program
Sadly I don't have much experience with windows applications. I'm *only* a web developer as well. But, if there's a need, I could help out with a RSS-Feed.
thgilsrooc wrote:Secondly, one would have to do a screenie of every resource sampled just for the upload, and that sounds like more work than it is worth, to be honest. I think an easy method would be to import via the notes.txt file in the profile.
Well, assumed there is no user input needed to fix the data, there is nothing more to do than pushing a hotkey. Let's say you configure the tool to listen on Ctrl+F12 the workflow is as simple as this: Survey -> Sample -> Open Inventory -> Select the resource ('til here it's what you're doing anyway to check the quality) -> Press Ctrl+F12
That's it. The tool should listen in the background. It won't take the focus or anything. Maybe there should be a confirmation sound indicating the upload was correct (or failed)
thgilsrooc wrote:In my experience, unless you're dealing with corporate level programs, OCR's are quite lacking in the consumer layer. Usually, an import will require user input to fix, which defeats the purpose in my opinion.
I don't have any experience with OCR tools, neither as a developer nor as a user. But I imagine the bad character recognition you're talking about comes about the fact that these tools usually need to recognize a wide spectrum of fonts, sizes, angels, colors and special character. For this applications it should rather be easy. Unless the user isn't using any UI mods there is only one font and font size. There are no angels, no special characters. It shouldn't be that hard to detect the used color scheme and there you go. :) What's left is 62 characters that need to be identified. For someone who is known to windows applications or even OCR techniques this shouldn't be a hard task. Sadly this is not me. ;)