Does anyone sell crates of walls?

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Architect Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

thgilsrooc
Novice Crafter

Does anyone sell crates of walls?

Post by thgilsrooc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:52 pm

I just started selling walls about two weeks ago, and, well.. They are a big hit. I just can't seem to keep them in the vendor for more than an hour or two. I'm not complaining, but wish I could make more walls at a time. 99 per run is quite low. Anyone else have the same luck?

I charge 100k per crate of 10, or 10k per.

Milara
Novice Crafter

Post by Milara » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:43 am

Well, that's the glory of a healthy merchant system. Structural modules, wall modules, all of that stuff is such a pain to make and so easy to run out of that people will pay some real cash to get more without having to take all that time to make them themselves. When I run across newer crafters looking to make a few extra creds, I suggest making things like that. It won't give them exp to grind if they're running factories, but as long as the overall economy on the server is going, there will be at least some demand for the components that go into end products.

In my mall on Kauri I try to keep a well-stocked vendor with clothing/armor components and did some delving into structural components... I didn't go far with it though because of the cost in resources. Didn't have enough junk resources to make 1k factory runs. Last time I sold structural modules (haven't actually tried wall modules personally), the whole stock was gone within a week. Mind, I can't remember what the price was... something like 2-3 cpu, just trying to cover cost-- but at the same time people tend to take a look around in my mall and see what else I carry. I make quite a few sales to fellow merchants who go there for one thing and wind up buying a few other things (with a markup that covers loss of profit from components).

Honestly, I wish there were more merchants out there willing to craft components. Kauri's a low population server and it happens all too often that I'll hit the bazaar looking for something cuz I don't feel like making it myself, only to find there's barely anything out there to buy. It's saddening... I make decent profit from custom building ships and selling bio-engineering consumables... I have the cash to toss around to compensate for my laziness... and not enough people out there are willing to do a bit of leg work to earn my cash. O_o

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:17 am

Wow, Im kind of surprised you are able to sell walls in significant numbers. I know a long time ago I put some on a vendor and they did not sell all that well. Im kind of thinking maybe I should try the market again. :wink:

xorbok
Forum Moderator

Post by xorbok » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:01 pm

They are selling because of the price. 10k per wall comes to what, about 2 to 3 cpu. I understand that its all junk resources, but those resources by themselves would sell easily for 2 to 3 cpu, so you are throwing in your crafting time, your factory time, your factory maintenance, your power for the factory, all of this x2 actually, because you are running the structure modules and then the walls. You are actually losing money. For the price you are selling the walls, you could sell the resources without all the extra investments and make the same money.
ImageImage

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:54 pm

There are exactly 3k resources in a wall, so at 10k you are making 3.33 cpu. Thats really pretty good for grind resources.

Its nearly always been the case, in architect, that you can make more selling the resources then crafting with them, but what fun would that be?

thgilsrooc
Novice Crafter

Post by thgilsrooc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Well, yeah. So I did two full runs of walls on Saturday. I got all the wall units and sold them at 15k per wall for kicks... They sold in thirty minutes. My suspicion is that all these new cities that are popping up in the wake of the structure clearing

Anyway, yes 3.33CPU on the walls is still a pretty big profit. When it comes down to it, the cost of energy in my factories were obtained when I bought them. Both factories had two full months of energy in them when I purchased the so long ago. Maintenance cost is really quite low too. The most expensive aspect in crafting is the harvester cost over maintenance and power. When it comes down to it, I made nearly two million credits when the crates were selling at my original price point and there is absolutely NO WAY I spent that much pulling up the ore.

But yeah, 15k per wall is selling better.

thgilsrooc
Novice Crafter

Post by thgilsrooc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Oh, and I certainly could sell the ore, but I'd rather help my fellow crafter by making their work a bit easier. At the end, I'm profiting and so are they.

Bray
Novice Crafter

Re: Does anyone sell crates of walls?

Post by Bray » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:40 pm

thgilsrooc wrote:I just started selling walls about two weeks ago, and, well.. They are a big hit. I just can't seem to keep them in the vendor for more than an hour or two. I'm not complaining, but wish I could make more walls at a time. 99 per run is quite low. Anyone else have the same luck?

Why only 99 per run?

The structure modules in walls can be mix and match. I run 5 factories of structure modules simultaneously. Then put those 5000 in a factory and run 500 walls. I then run the 5 Sm factories while it makes the first 500 walls and move them to the wall factory when done. Making a full set of 1000 walls per schematic

Savacc

Re: Does anyone sell crates of walls?

Post by Savacc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Bray wrote:
thgilsrooc wrote:I just started selling walls about two weeks ago, and, well.. They are a big hit. I just can't seem to keep them in the vendor for more than an hour or two. I'm not complaining, but wish I could make more walls at a time. 99 per run is quite low. Anyone else have the same luck?

Why only 99 per run?

The structure modules in walls can be mix and match. I run 5 factories of structure modules simultaneously. Then put those 5000 in a factory and run 500 walls. I then run the 5 Sm factories while it makes the first 500 walls and move them to the wall factory when done. Making a full set of 1000 walls per schematic
I didnt pick up on that, but Bray is correct. Wall schematics require simular structure modules, not identical. This means any structure module, with any serial number will work. You can even combine hand made with factory crated structure mods to make walls. There are only a few, rare schematics like this, that allow simular rather then identical componants.

I think Ill add this to my FAQ