SWGAide -- About Next Version

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

SWGAide -- About Next Version

Post by Zimoon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi friends,

I am back again. The week in a fisherman's cabin at Gotland was awesome with the best of weather and serene sunsets far away from city brats. In Visby the yearly Medieval Week provided everything from visitors in timely outfits (including my wife), market stalls, and jesters, to performances and tournaments. The closest to computers I got was passing an Internet cafe, yup, I was in control and kept outside ;)

Ahem, not exactly true, I had a thick book on computer science with me. Everywhere. You will definitely benefit from it sooner or later, some patterns fit SWGAide perfectly.

On to business,
I also spent the time away from code smithing to mentally review some design decisions made as far back as 2005, way before galaxy-transferred resources, but some are quite naïve even so. Or rather, they worked up to a point, but SWGAide surpassed some limitations a year ago and some items should have been better thought through when adding the inventory, galaxy-transfer just added another dimension to the limited design. None to blame but myself :oops:

Whatever, I am home again with a notebook full of sketches and notes. It is great with vacations, the brightest ideas come at you when your brain is idling. And mine has obviously idled a lo the recent week ;)

However, the transition to the next version of SWGAide will be quite a jump. Due to the quite deep-reaching changes I would appreciate some die-hards volunteering as gamma pilots before the next public release. Not just yet as I just came home, and I have no time estimate, but feel free to volunteer in this thread.

The jump will make the DAT file become incompatible between the current version and all future versions. Thus, once upgraded there is no way back. To ease the transfer a small utility will be provided that "fixes" the DAT file, but most probably inventories must be imported once again, from a file exported by the utility. Hopefully all other resource related features will continue to work uninterrupted.

I will also enhance and relax the format for the inventory export/import file. Two new columns will be added, one for "galaxy" and one for the unique ID resources have at SWGCraft. The latter will reduce the Internet communication with SWGCraft during import. Furthermore, as long as the column headers read the same as in an exported file any arbitrary order of the columns will be OK, and some of them can also be left out. Full backward compatibility is promised.

As mentioned, this is still future. Expect at least some weeks before the first gamma version of SWGAide is available. Even though I love coding, and particularly on SWGAide, my week has 7 days , each day 24 hours 8)

But, SWGAide is open source and co-developers are welcomed, as are any hands with tasks not directly related to Java code ;)

Greetings
Zimoon

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Re: SWGAide -- About Next Version

Post by Tech Twin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:52 pm

oh. oh! oh! me, me... pick me!

I'll gamma pilot the new version for you. :)

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Since I only vaguely use the current Aide, but I understand how it works and design, plug me in for the new gamma team, plz. That way you will get a wider variety of viewpoints and expertise.
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:58 pm

Zimoon had a peek in here 8)

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Post by passionfly1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Zimoon wrote:Zimoon had a peek in here 8)
Well I would def like to see what you have available and would love to test new software. I love this utility. Tbh, I can't play a Trader without it anymore lol

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Just a quick heads up. Today I finished the lower end Java classes which model resources and their various data. Just another proof read and some minor polishing left for tomorrow.

Next step, probably starting tomorrow, is the heart in the new design which will manage all resources in SWGAide and maintain the crucial uniqueness problem that has been more and more haunting some users more than others, including myself. This will probably take another week to get it right, vacation ends now and work from Monday 8)

After that, getting all the broken references in the GUI classes to work, but that is more or less to "rewire" them properly and is possibly done in another week.

More news will come when I have some.

Cheers
/Zimoon

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Post by NaeBliss » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:21 pm

im willing to try it, im not a heavy user yet but might be in the futere, since im rlly beginning to like the crafting aspect of the game

Caledorn
Novice Crafter

Post by Caledorn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:24 pm

After Malane tipped me about your tool, I would definitely set off some time to help with testing! I really enjoy it so far - so count me in if you need me :-)

(I am a "programmer" too - PHP4/5 that is. So I know how important testing is. But sadly I don't know Java, or I'd definitely help with developing)
Khendon deFein - Master Tailor - Europe-Chimaera - RSG
Beltira deFein - Master Architect - Europe-Chimaera - RSG
Porenn deFein - Master Entertainer - Europe-Chimaera - RSG
Inarion deFein - 'mando - Europe-Chimaera - RSG

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:54 pm

I'll be happy to help you with testing again.

Just let me know when you're ready to start.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Things are going as planned, but slower, my wife is growing irate over a cabinet I have promised to paint :roll:

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tech Twin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Zimoon wrote:Things are going as planned, but slower, my wife is growing irate over a cabinet I have promised to paint :roll:

Wife aggro sucks!

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Yupp, and she is a CL* 90, golden hair 8)

* Cute Level

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Short info.

Today I finished the basic and intermediate classes on the huge revamp regarding resources.

Large parts of the code is a complete rewrite. Not that it was bad before, the guy that made the very first library in 2005 did a good job, kudos to him. But some stuff did not anticipate reality, for example, people submit resource data to here that is not correct. Most cases were possible to handle, except one, changing resource class. And it was here SWGAide suffered the most from that limitation, being able to update/replace resource "instances" in memory. So, rewriting, and reviewing things I wrote months or years ago to remember why/when/how, this has taken me this long.

So, what is left? Except IRL of course? Now I am on to the GUI to rewire the cables that currently are disconnected and in many occasions will have the wrong dimensions and/or "voltage". Plus writing a very small utility which takes a SWGAide.DAT file and converts it to the "new" SWGAide. ETA? Two or three weeks I hope. Remember, I don't even have SWGAide working for myself so there is some kind of flame-thrower aimed at my bottom :mrgreen:

Cheers

/Zimoon

Dimmih
Novice Crafter

Post by Dimmih » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Really nice job man =) I sent you an error report two days ago and you responded with a really easy fix that I had missed while reading on the forum.

If you need it I'm happy to help out, I'm a computerscience dropout from Lund :D spent 1.5 years programming in java, so I know java-code, I'm not great, and it wasn't something I want to do professionaly the rest of my life, but doing hobby-applications like this is really quite fun.

However if you feel adding another chef would risk ruining the soup (which it can do) I'm also happy to just test the application for you :)
<DDE> Dimmih's Droid Emporium
On Europe-Farstar visit my shop in Free Sands (Tatooine)

Neehin
Novice Crafter

Post by Neehin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Well the schematic Tab is still quite empty ;-)

and like Zimoon said in this post, help is welcome.

And i would love to see someone who's helping Zimoon with that :-)

Unfortunately i never learned java, only other stuff, so i can't help