Idiot trying to use SWGAID, and failing

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Idiot trying to use SWGAID, and failing

Post by Trixie9819 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:05 pm

Ok, I'm trying, seriously. But I'm the type that if the program doesn't do it for me, I don't know how to do it myself. So let's start at the beginning of my frustration.

2 computers, work and home, both run XP.

At home, I download either the .jar file or the .zip file and install either one. But there is no .jar file that gets installed for me to double click on it to start it. I open up WinRar and look inside the zipped up folder and there's no .jar file there.

BUT

At work, downloading the same zip file I was able to install it and get it to start up.

2nd problem, at work (since I can't get it to start up at home, and I"m at home today). So 2nd problem, I get into SWGAid and I can see my characters, I can see where the mail's going to go, snapshots, etc. But the part that I am most interested in is the harvesters.

I pick my main trader and add an elite mineral harvester for her. Then I go to resources and right click one and the part that lets me assign it to the harvester is greyed out.

I go to the harvester tab and I'm told in the F1 that in the middle is where I can assign an owner to the harvester, but there's nothing like that at all that I can see. The middle is where the power and maint and hopper settings are.

What I think I'm supposed to be able to do with this program.
Have a list of Harvesters,
Able to change owners of harvesters as I move them around
Able to tell it what I'm gathering on which harvesters
Be told when the hoppers almost full, or power/maint is low
Be told when that resource stops spawning so I can go move my harvesters.

There's a lot more that I will eventually be able to do with tracking when something spawns that's better than what I currently have, etc. etc. But this is what I'm trying to start out with. Does anyone have any suggestions for this poor computer idiot?

Oh, and at work, Save and Save As are both greyed out, so whatever changes I make are evidently lost.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Idiot trying to use SWGAID, and failing

Post by Zimoon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Trixie9819 wrote:Ok, I'm trying, seriously. But I'm the type that if the program doesn't do it for me, I don't know how to do it myself. So let's start at the beginning of my frustration.

2 computers, work and home, both run XP.

At home, I download either the .jar file or the .zip file and install either one. But there is no .jar file that gets installed for me to double click on it to start it. I open up WinRar and look inside the zipped up folder and there's no .jar file there.

Which web browser do you use? Either way, if you right click the JAR link you should have an option to save to disk. Find out where the file was downloaded, move it to a folder you want for SWGAide, and that should do it. If that does not work there is some real problem with your computer. That you cannot find anything inside the ZIP file is even more puzzling, I cannot help you with that remotely.

BUT

At work, downloading the same zip file I was able to install it and get it to start up.
Which shows it is working, but you have some odd problem at home.
BTW, what operating system do you have at home? If Vista, see
this post, towards the end.

2nd problem, at work (since I can't get it to start up at home, and I"m at home today). So 2nd problem, I get into SWGAid and I can see my characters, I can see where the mail's going to go, snapshots, etc. But the part that I am most interested in is the harvesters.

Remember, since you have two different computers, be careful about deleting mails in game, they won't be pickled up by the other computer if deleted in game before mailsaving them at both ends.

I pick my main trader and add an elite mineral harvester for her. Then I go to resources and right click one and the part that lets me assign it to the harvester is greyed out.

I just checked the code for it and that only happens if you have not defined a user at the harvester panel or you have not defined any harvesters. From what I read you have only defined a harvester, at the harvester panel's upper rightmost area, right-click and create users and set their expertize. Currently the Entertainer buff must be edited from time to time, this will be changed to a checkbox at the edit-harvester dialog.

I go to the harvester tab and I'm told in the F1 that in the middle is where I can assign an owner to the harvester, but there's nothing like that at all that I can see. The middle is where the power and maint and hopper settings are.

Aah, a mistake, I will review the documentation and fix that part. Sorry, I guess it was due to some later positioning of the different sub-panels, please bear with us.

What I think I'm supposed to be able to do with this program.
Have a list of Harvesters,
Able to change owners of harvesters as I move them around
Able to tell it what I'm gathering on which harvesters
Be told when the hoppers almost full, or power/maint is low
Be told when that resource stops spawning so I can go move my harvesters.
Yes to all of them :)

There's a lot more that I will eventually be able to do with tracking when something spawns that's better than what I currently have, etc. etc. But this is what I'm trying to start out with. Does anyone have any suggestions for this poor computer idiot?

Oh, and at work, Save and Save As are both greyed out, so whatever changes I make are evidently lost.
Nope, they are not. Save and Save as only works for items that can and should be saved, such as the notes files listed at the main panel, or selected mails. Not all items can be saved, others are rather exported. All your changes to options and stuff is automagically saved to SWGAide.DAT during the session and at exiting SWGAide. That file is also in the backup-folder, one every week, plus a BAK file a lot more often so if anything crashes and the DAT file is corrupt SWGAide will pick up the BAK file and you won't even notice.
Comments inlined in red.

Thanks for your post, it is good to get feedback. In due time we will walk over all feedback we get and possibly enhance or polish the user interface, so we really do welcome feedback :)

/Zimoon

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Trixie9819 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:39 am

The zip folder does have things in it, it just doesn't have a .jar file that I can click on. I know it's a problem with my home computer because the EXACT same file, and winrar and XP system is on my work computer. That's what's driving me crazy.

I have a folder on my D drive, not inside SWG, but on the same drive as it. When I unzip the folder, or copy the download directly to that folder I get these....

a folder called SWGAide and inside it is 2 folders, Meta-INF and swg. I thought the jar file was inside the SWGAide folder, but it doesn't show there. Inside the Meta-INF folder is manifest.mf.

Inside the swg folder are folders named.
Crafting
GUI
Model
swgcraft
tools

as well as the files.
mail-template
swgaide-readme
swgaide-history

SWG-aide a MS-Dos batch file

SWG-aide.class
SWGConstants.class

None of them start up the program for me. Why am I putting this all here? So that when I go to work tomorrow I can read it and see what I'm missing. Hopefully I can figure out what's going on.

I know it's user error somehow, and I'll try tomorrow to get the harvester stuff set up at work so I can do it at home when I get THAT part figured out. I do have a couple of questions. Is there any way to email a 'saved' file or something that has my 'watch' and 'inventory' on it? Or should I do it at home and just keep notes for work. I know, I know, I'm supposed to be working, but I get to play other games at lunchtime and that's when I do a lot of my organizing on my vendors etc.

The other question, is there any way to manually put in past sales? I have the past 3-4 months of sales written down from the emails and would like to be able to put them in, instead of starting over fresh on 'day one' once I get this all working.

Thanks for your patience, and from what I've seen it's a great program that is going to make my life a lot easier.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:25 am

Trixie9819 wrote:The zip folder does have things in it, it just doesn't have a .jar file that I can click on. I know it's a problem with my home computer because the EXACT same file, and winrar and XP system is on my work computer. That's what's driving me crazy.

Aaaah, I see. No, you are not supposed to be able to double click a JAR file inside a zip file, even if it is presented in a "folder". Consider the folder virtual, or imaginary.
  1. Create a folder somewhere at your wish
  2. Drag the files from the ZIP "dolder" to that new folder, which will extract them from the ZIP file into the folder you made
  3. Done! Now you can double click the JAR file, assuming you have installed Java from its home site at java.sun.com
[/color]

I have a folder on my D drive, not inside SWG, but on the same drive as it. When I unzip the folder, or copy the download directly to that folder I get these....

a folder called SWGAide and inside it is 2 folders, Meta-INF and swg. I thought the jar file was inside the SWGAide folder, but it doesn't show there. Inside the Meta-INF folder is manifest.mf.

Inside the swg folder are folders named.
Crafting
GUI
Model
swgcraft
tools

as well as the files.
mail-template
swgaide-readme
swgaide-history

SWG-aide a MS-Dos batch file

SWG-aide.class
SWGConstants.class

Eeeh, here it sounds as you are unzipping the JAR file itself, not the ZIP file. I just downloaded the ZIP file at work and unzipped it, no problem, it contains: SWGAide-history.txt SWGAide_README.txt SWGAide.jar
Either download only the JAR file and put it into the folder you made, or the ZIP file and unzip its three files into that folder.

None of them start up the program for me. Why am I putting this all here? So that when I go to work tomorrow I can read it and see what I'm missing. Hopefully I can figure out what's going on.

I know it's user error somehow, and I'll try tomorrow to get the harvester stuff set up at work so I can do it at home when I get THAT part figured out. I do have a couple of questions. Is there any way to email a 'saved' file or something that has my 'watch' and 'inventory' on it? Or should I do it at home and just keep notes for work. I know, I know, I'm supposed to be working, but I get to play other games at lunchtime and that's when I do a lot of my organizing on my vendors etc.

The other question, is there any way to manually put in past sales? I have the past 3-4 months of sales written down from the emails and would like to be able to put them in, instead of starting over fresh on 'day one' once I get this all working.

Thanks for your patience, and from what I've seen it's a great program that is going to make my life a lot easier.
It sure looks like I can expand the instructions at the web site, one QUICK START and one longer version, could i?

/Zimoon

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Trixie9819 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:39 pm

I BELIEVE I got it to work on my work system. I was doing it right all along (as far as I can tell) but despite it saying 'get java' I had an old version of java which wouldn't work with SWGAide. Well, it wouldn't work with my timecard program all of a sudden either, so updating my java for that rang a little bell in my head.

I downloaded version 7.30 (or whatever it was from a day or so ago) and it SEEMS to be working now at work. I'm betting I have an even older Java on my home machine, so I'll update that and see what happens.

Now, I still can't assign a harvester to a user so that I can assign a resource to a harvester. I can't figure out where to create a user? I'm this close >< to figuring it all out, thanks for your patience!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 pm

It sounds as you have created some harvesters at the panel for it, they should be listed upper leftmost.

If you have not already, create the user. There should already be all the characters you have at that galaxy in the dropdown list, so you rather just have to edit the expertize for them.

Now, at the list of all current resources, right click the one you are harvesting and choose "Add to harvester panel". That will bring up a dialog where you can pick one of the harvesters from the first dropdown list, and the user from the second dropdown list. Fill in the details such as concentration, how much maintenance, etc., and click OK. Done!

Good luck :)

/Zimoon

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Trixie9819 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Ok, my problem was that I was clicking on the 'user name' to try to create one. I needed to go to the open area and right click it to pull up the option to 'create user'. Once I got that, it worked perfectly.

Now to get it to run at home, and get my inventory in, and write down my hopper sizes and all that.

Thanks for the patiences while I worked my way through my problems, I know it wasn't the program it was EBC&K (error between chair and keyboard).

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 pm

I am happy that you are up and running -- at work ;)

And if we can improve on the documentation or so, we will, in due time. That is why feedback is good, so thanks again.

/Zimoon

Ce'Nedra
Novice Crafter

Post by Ce'Nedra » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Zimoon wrote:It sounds as you have created some harvesters at the panel for it, they should be listed upper leftmost.

If you have not already, create the user. There should already be all the characters you have at that galaxy in the dropdown list, so you rather just have to edit the expertize for them.

Now, at the list of all current resources, right click the one you are harvesting and choose "Add to harvester panel". That will bring up a dialog where you can pick one of the harvesters from the first dropdown list, and the user from the second dropdown list. Fill in the details such as concentration, how much maintenance, etc., and click OK. Done!

Good luck :)

/Zimoon
Trixie, your troubles have solved getting my harvesters set up. Don't think your troubles were in vain. One question I have is, since I run this on 2 computers as well, is there a file I can take back and forth to keep both computers sync'd?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Ce'Nedra wrote:... since I run this on 2 computers as well, is there a file I can take back and forth to keep both computers sync'd?
At this time, no. When I begun at SWGAide I did not anticipate that would be a request so quite a lot is not easily possible to transfer between computers. Except in one case, and that is...

If you have SWG and SWGAide installed folders so that the two paths to the folders are exactly equal at both places, then it is possible.
For example, if SWG is installed in C:\Program Files\StarWarsGalaxies\ at both computers
and
SWGAide is for example installed in C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Documents\SWGAide\ at both computers, then it is possible to transfer the file SWGAide.DAT between the two computers. But only then.

However, then you must remember to move that file between the two computers all the time as some stuff will get out of sync otherwise. You cannot miss one tiny occasion or weird things may happen to for example the inventory, etc. The file must replace the previous file before you start SWGAide but you can do whatever with SWG as SWGAide was built not to be dependent on any state in SWG.

If you are using SWGAide only for tracking resources, but not running SWG at the other computer, then you only need to export for example guards and import on the other computer. But always consider that one an inferior client that do not know all that the main client knows.

I assure you I am thinking of ways to make it easier, but there are also a lot of sensitive stuff that is really tricky to fix in an easy manner. Hard to explain to non-developers but some stuff are really hairy, and for developers I mention the phrase deserialization of shared objects which would set them on track ;)

However, this do not have the highest priority as I first of all want schematics to happen.

/Zimoon

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Trixie9819 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:55 pm

schematics first!! yes! no arguments from me, lol.

I downloaded java this morning at home and got it all to open (woot) so I just have to update it and start inputting things.

I will probably have a list of things to watch for on my work system, since I browse SWGCraft to see what's new between loading screens at work (yes, all day long on a computer and then play more at home) This tracking resources is fine because I just email myself a list of things to check for when I get home.

Inventory and harvesters and all that would be on my home system, but being able to look up schematics vs what resources I have in stock would be a MAJOR plus.

I do have one question. When I check the F1 documentation, it says that SWGAide syncs with SWGCraft, but I happened to have both open and noticed that SWGCraft showed a new version of Radioactive that SWGAide didn't yet recognize. Am I misunderstanding how they sync?

Next on my list to figure out, how to put in something I already have and set it up to warn me when something 'better' comes along.

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Trixie9819 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:59 am

Ok, couple quick things before I fall on my face in bed. I figured out how to use the ingame note to input my inventory. But I had to change the note from a file named 'notes' to 'notes_chatlog' which seemed very strange to me.

On the other hand, I figured that I can copy that notes file and email it to myself at work to get the inventory of items I need to watch for 'better' stuff with. (gah, that makes no sense).

Anyway, I can figure out how to set up a 'tell me when something better comes along' type of thingie now that I have the inventory 'notes' file.

But I have an item, some Vintrium Extrusive Ore that doesn't exist on SWGCraft. I know for a fact that it was not gotten with the 30K resource crate, and it is not a resource from another server. I have over a million units of it, so I got it myself with my harvesters. What do you do when for some reason something was 'missed' or probably accidentally deleted from the database here?

And I"m off to sleep, night all.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:24 am

Trixie9819 wrote:Ok, couple quick things before I fall on my face in bed. I figured out how to use the ingame note to input my inventory. But I had to change the note from a file named 'notes' to 'notes_chatlog' which seemed very strange to me.

On the other hand, I figured that I can copy that notes file and email it to myself at work to get the inventory of items I need to watch for 'better' stuff with. (gah, that makes no sense).

Why? And remember you can use whatever notes file name. If you start the ingame notes pad like this /note toast you will get a file at your harddisk named toast.txt, etc. SWGAide will pick up the new files at start, I must probably change this to scan the harddisk regularly, or at user's will at least.

Anyway, I can figure out how to set up a 'tell me when something better comes along' type of thingie now that I have the inventory 'notes' file.

But I have an item, some Vintrium Extrusive Ore that doesn't exist on SWGCraft. I know for a fact that it was not gotten with the 30K resource crate, and it is not a resource from another server. I have over a million units of it, so I got it myself with my harvesters. What do you do when for some reason something was
'missed' or probably accidentally deleted from the database here?

At the How to update SWGCraft it is mentioned how to add "old" resources to the database. It is the second last section in that "guide".

And I"m off to sleep, night all.
In red

/Zimoon

PS: Remember, in SWGAide, as soon as you get confused, press F1 at the keyboard :)

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Trixie9819 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Yeah, sleep is good. I would have remembered to check the 'how to update old info' thingie eventually. (need more caffiene this morning too)

For the notes, I don't know why it is doing that. I did a /note and typed out a couple of items in the proper format (so I could make sure it was working) but the only things SWGAide saw was my chatlogs. So I did another one, didn't see it. So I changed the notes.txt to notes_chatlog.txt and it saw it with no problems. This is in the drop down menu when I choose 'import note file'. (oh, and I did shut down SWGAide and restart it before renaming the file, just in case it was that causing it.)

Oh, and I have

a monitor and three guards set up. I might get really brave and steal that one guy's idea for importing guards for munitions, but do it for beastmaster consumables. But not until we hit our deadline next week (crosses fingers)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:07 pm

/note will just create a notes.txt, which is the default name, if there is none it creates one.

A drawback is that if you previously opened for example "/note chicken" and then do a /note it will remember it was chicken, so after the first use you must remember to add the /note notes for the next time.

SWGAide only refresh the notes files at startup, which I mentioned above. If you use an existing file, or if you rather create a new file in SWGAide before going into game, then it will remember that one.

/Zimoon