Overpriced resources

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Mobious
Novice Crafter

Overpriced resources

Post by Mobious » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:12 pm

I know this a very mute point, but what constitutes to overpriced resources?

For example I pay 100cpu for asteroidal resources. This is very much seen as the going rate, which pushes the prices up over all. However I don't have a problem with that, as it is very time consuming.

However what peeves me is when someone charges 10cpu for crystal bicarb steel and the stats are still pretty poor.

I always try to set up contracts with people because it means I wont get ripped off and the vendor gets a guarenteed source of income.

Thats on intrepid. What is it like on other servers?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:39 am

I wish I could get asteroids for 100 cpu. On Eclipse the going rate is 350 cpu. We have some Lightsaber resources that go for 100 cpu and more. Personally, I dont buy any resources (other then asteroids) for more then 10 cpu. Im a miner myself, so I cant see anyone making more then that off of a resource.

Cerceuil
Forum Moderator

Post by Cerceuil » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:19 pm

now that Im getting more on feet after a while off from crafting Ive dont buy resources anymore...Ill mine it or do without. Ive spent way to much on some of it.

Jamys Farstrider
Novice Crafter

Post by Jamys Farstrider » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:37 pm

Well I'll tell you as far as ore and crystal go, its supply and demand. Crystal and ore are used by everybody to speed grind their Crafters and are limited resources, so they take longer to amass. Between these two factors the stuff flies off the vendors.

Myself, i sell the two types for 4cpu for junk. I might be short changing myself, but thats what I feel is a fair price. Good resources I charge through the nose for though.

As far as starsider goes, the rate seems to be 150cpu for asteroid resources.
Jamys Farstrider - Elder Commando
Aronarc Issitoh - Elder Architech & Elder Shipwright
Spirit of the Fallanassi - http://www.sofgaming.net

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:53 pm

In many cases where I've seen complaints about over-pricing, it has ended up being a resource that is either rare or has caps. Obviously that is not the case with the Crystallized Bic. Steel.

And then, of course, you get Johnnie resource seller who sees that Susie resource seller is selling low-stat Tolium Gas for 15 CPU and figures that he can sell his low-stat Organometallic for the same price.

Of course it can happen the other way too. If someone doesn't realize that Wild Rice has a PE cap of 700, they might think that a wild rice with PE 695/OQ 866 is junk when in reality it would be the third best ever on my server.

Rackle
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Rackle » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:18 pm

Over on Naritus a little while back, I tried to start a Traders Association (too much objection over the word Union). Everyone saw it as a price fixing venture, and it quickly died. But my motivation for starting it was all the discussion I was seeing about resource cost.

I don't think the problem is greed, as much as ignorance. It takes a while to really come to understand what is the acceptable price of items. I wanted the traders of my galaxy to come together and agree what was considered "the norm", then we publish it, and we're all on the same page.

I know what's worth what now, in the metals market. But I'm working on starting a creature supply, hides, meat, milk, etc, and I find myself back in the same boat again. Trying to read the market, and figure out what stuff is worth. If I'm trying to sell my meat for 10 cpu, its not becaues I'm greedy, its because I'm ignorant of what its worth, and I'm just considering the time I'm spending chasing down critters. Its more time intensive than mineral harvesting, so naturally the cost should be higher for the consumer - right?

ordio
Novice Crafter

Post by ordio » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:27 pm

Rackle wrote:Over on Naritus a little while back, I tried to start a Traders Association (too much objection over the word Union). Everyone saw it as a price fixing venture, and it quickly died. But my motivation for starting it was all the discussion I was seeing about resource cost.

I don't think the problem is greed, as much as ignorance. It takes a while to really come to understand what is the acceptable price of items. I wanted the traders of my galaxy to come together and agree what was considered "the norm", then we publish it, and we're all on the same page.

I know what's worth what now, in the metals market. But I'm working on starting a creature supply, hides, meat, milk, etc, and I find myself back in the same boat again. Trying to read the market, and figure out what stuff is worth. If I'm trying to sell my meat for 10 cpu, its not becaues I'm greedy, its because I'm ignorant of what its worth, and I'm just considering the time I'm spending chasing down critters. Its more time intensive than mineral harvesting, so naturally the cost should be higher for the consumer - right?
I agree with you on the hunting part... on Valcyn, we just had (or still have) a leather hide on endor with the oq as 989... now i know the only good thing it is good for are camp items... So i offered 20cpu for it... i figured that based on peoples time to actually hunt for them it was a good price at least...
I wouldn't want someone to go hunting for crap leather hide, and only get 3cpu for it... especially considering the grind... so at least with the high oq, it gave reason for some people to go out and hunt it for me...
The bazaar rarely has any type of hide (grind or not) where they are either "99999999" or overpriced (4000000 for 500/5000 units)... So at least to me this is a fair way to get more hide easily and line the pockets of some people :)

Kiomec
Novice Crafter

Post by Kiomec » Sat May 26, 2007 4:57 am

Personally, I price all my resources very low. Prices range from 1 to 10 cpu. Any resource over 900+ stats are at 5-10 cpu, depending on rarity.

The main reason I do this is because it really only takes about 3.5 cpu to actually get the resources, so any markup more than about 200% is more than enough imho.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat May 26, 2007 12:14 pm

Nicely written posts, I like what I read.

IMHO:

As fixed price schemes will always die and also is in opposition to a free market economy, which SWG tries to mimic, that is nothing the Trader community will support.

A free market works pretty well, overpriced resources will not sell as much as fairly priced resources. But there will always be some outlandishly rich guy that maybe prefer buying now for any price than search more vendors, browse the trading forums, or simply wait.

Ignorance on caps and what constitutes for a great or splendid resource makes it for overpriced resources. Just look at the Bazaar, any resource is up for 10+ CPU no matter their stats, while break even should be somewhere around 0.4 CPU, giving 1 - 2 CPU will give a nice interest.

Asteroidal resources are not only slow to gather, it is plain boring. After doing the quests and gotten the best equipment/ship, what is then but trigger the laser, using the beam, and shuttle home to empty the storage? I believe it is the latter fact that makes for the price, rather than it is slow.

Creature resources, again ignorance is leading the overprices.

A broken economy also drives overpricing of course. When anybody gets millionaire in a week, what is then considered a fair price? Most often there will always be someone buying at whatever the price.

Personally I believe the best solution is to contract miners, hunters or whoever to gather the stuff you are interested in. That is not only role-playish but also gives you just the stuff you want to gather.

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:53 pm

ordio wrote:
I agree with you on the hunting part... on Valcyn, we just had (or still have) a leather hide on endor with the oq as 989... now i know the only good thing it is good for are camp items... So i offered 20cpu for it... i figured that based on peoples time to actually hunt for them it was a good price at least...
I wouldn't want someone to go hunting for crap leather hide, and only get 3cpu for it... especially considering the grind... so at least with the high oq, it gave reason for some people to go out and hunt it for me...
The bazaar rarely has any type of hide (grind or not) where they are either "99999999" or overpriced (4000000 for 500/5000 units)... So at least to me this is a fair way to get more hide easily and line the pockets of some people :)
LOL, not sure how I missed this one back when it was posted.

In addition to the architect making camps, that leathery would also be VERY valuable to a chef:) It's used in several foods including Deneelian Fizz Pudding (the best luck food) and even more importantly, can be used in the organic slot of the chef BE tissues:)

That aside, the price you were offering is comparable to what I'd offer to pay.

Bangalore007
Novice Crafter

My Fixed Pricing Scheme

Post by Bangalore007 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:56 pm

I honestly got tired of trying to customize my pricing based on which stats are valuable to who (This IS a game, after all!) and balance it with the current market pricing. I decided to price everything based on OQ and let people evaluate the resource for their own needs.

1 - 399 = 2cpu
400 - 799 = 4cpu
800 - 1000 = 6cpu

If I have 3+ 900 stats, I may add 1cpu to it. Meh!

For what it's worth, I'm not starving. I also will post Structure Grinding Ore/Gemstone at 1cpu for the up and coming crafter - provided I have open lots and I find a really high %-age site.
"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours." - Yogi Berra

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:11 am

I've been dumping 700ish copper on Radiant in the bazaar 20k for 6k. Ore, I'll sell for the same. organics (Hide, meat, bone), I've found only sell if they're priced under 1 cpu. Of course any high OQ hides, I keep for camps.

I figure 3 cpu is kind of a high price for materials that cost me to gether somewhere between .3 cpu and lower, but thats just me. And, I don't dump so much on the bazaar as to break the market for others. Yes I know on Radiant, I could make a whole lot more on raw resources, but I really don't have a use for the coin I've already made. (Either I don't want it, or I can't find it.)

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:23 am

I know what you mean about the economy on Radiant, Trademaster. I've been palying for about 1 month and was put off by the cost of resources that i needed to grind. So, i thought that as a mid-level trader i could provide noobs with smaller & therefore cheaper lots of 1k steel for grinding purposes. problem is, I suspect vets are scarfing up my lots b4 the noobs can get to them on tatooine. is there a way to filter buyers?

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:06 am

Nope, no way to filter buyers. However, I have found that you can eventually saturate the market if you keep on selling. I was the low man on Bria for swoops for three months, now the bottom price went from 19k to 12k per swoop. I'm thinking I may have angered some vehicle crafters.

To keep my bankroll on Bria (pseudo newbie on Bria haven't been there since beta) If there isn't anything of superior quality I need for my Engineer, (or BM thingys) I just toss up my harvesters on some Steel, or Ore, and stockpile it for selling. I try to keep 5 stacks of each in the bazaar and it seems to be working out ok. I was able to purchase my nifty new flora harvesters to grab some of the best darn corn I've ever seen (for pet stuff)

From what I've found, don't really worry about resellers purchasing up your materials if they do, fine, just put up more. eventually, they'll either start a price war to drive you out of business, or give up. Either way, it doesn't matter. The price war helps everyone, and if they give up, you're getting your product to people who will use it and for a good price.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:14 pm

gelgamesh wrote:I know what you mean about the economy on Radiant, Trademaster. I've been palying for about 1 month and was put off by the cost of resources that i needed to grind. So, i thought that as a mid-level trader i could provide noobs with smaller & therefore cheaper lots of 1k steel for grinding purposes. problem is, I suspect vets are scarfing up my lots b4 the noobs can get to them on tatooine. is there a way to filter buyers?
Or try put up some as Auction and use the Text field for Seller's note to ask them to contact you in person in game and trade them face to face.

It's a free market and unfortunately there are guys that resell whatever we try to do. Note though, this does not only apply to Traders but to all classes. Traders cannot get the high level loot stuff and still it's sold for millions by the combateers. Hence, we are all to blame I guess :cry:

/Z