Resource sampling macro

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Resource sampling macro

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 13, 2009 7:12 pm

I once posted this as an answer in another thread. It turns out it is hard to find each time so I repost it here :)

My macro for one of those toons I occasionally leave at Mustafar, poor guy, looks like this and is named my_sample:

Code: Select all

/follow zimite;
/pause 2;
/sample;
/pause 12;
/ui action defaultButton;
/pause 1;
/ui action petToolbarSlot3;
/macro my_sample;
My pet is a CL 1 mite and is called Zimite. When I bring him (how to you tell gender at an insect?) out, the first thing I do is to command him to stay, and this is important. Now I will explain the lines one by one:
  1. /follow Zimite will keep the toon within a few meters from where Zimite stays put, not drifting away too far, otherwise this line makes nothing
  2. /pause 2 to let the toon move towards Zimite before next line
  3. /sample in the case the toon had stopped sampling, otherwise no action
  4. /pause 12 to let the sampling continune, or let the toon regenerate action if drained
  5. /...defaultbutton will dismiss any popup dialog about better concentrations
  6. /pause 1 just in case there is some lag
  7. /... petToolbarSlot will trigger the 15 minute buff, if not run out yet this does nothing
  8. loop the macro
As you see this macro is on a 15 second loop so not much time is wasted if sampling is stopped when action runs out. At times it is looped a second time before regenerated.

Remove the lines about the pet if you sample without a resource scavenger pet.

Usually the resource scavenger is at the 4th button (slot 3 since they are counted from 0) but the mileage may vary. Because nothing happens when triggering the button if the buff is already applied you do not need to have numerous macros doing different things. This one is simple and neat and at least it works for me :)

If you are a kind person and also wants to feed the poor creature, put a crate of his favorite pet food at the common toolbar and run a second macro with a one hour pause or something like that.

Of course there are many, many ways to tweak this macro, this is simple and works for me so ... :)

Good luck
/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Resource sampling macro

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 13, 2009 7:14 pm

How to obtain the resource scavenger cube?

Also posted at several locations, so this is a shortie for completeness of this thread.

Both the "Cybernetic Deconstruction Arm" and the "Beast Knowledge: Resource Scavenger" is earned by completing two resources sampling collections, the "High Quality Resource Collection" and the "Resource Scavenger Training". These can be done in parallel rather than one after another.
  • Pick the first point in the Beast Master expertize tree
  • Get yourself a pet, any level, kind, size, color, or whatever will do
  • Survey for any kind of Chemical, Gas, Geo-Thermal Energy, Mineral, Flora, and Water in any order, any concentration will do but the lower the worse risk for a failed gathering attempt and no dialog
  • Every now and then a dialog named "Survey Event" pops up, most often the annoying one with the usual two options, but randomly a third option is available train-your-pet and obtain-high-quality-product respectively (wording??) and you must select one of them to update the collections
  • You need 5 such events for each of the 6 resource classes for the RE-arm and 20 events for the resource scavenger cube, any resource class for this one
  • Once the collections are finished you will get the two items in your inventory
  • Radial the cube and learn the ability
  • Target upir pet and issue the command /trainPet (possibly there is an icon at the Abilities window too)
The resource scavenger pet boosts your sampling yield 50% for 15 minutes, but the macro above ensures the buff is always applied.

/Zimoon

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Wed May 13, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks for the added line of the follow pet, that's probably what I was missing. I have mine tweaked a little as an AFK macro that adds /afk at the beginning of the loop so that it tricks the timers. I think I have mine also running a few extra lines that makes it run in 5 minute loops or so.

/cheer zimoon.

My only question, do you have to put the pet at a distance in order to keep your toon from moving? I know the Mon Clas have the worst wondering tendancies, wouldn't they start to wander off until they neet a distance threshold for the /follow command? (added this as an after thought.)
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Nope, I put mine at my feet, a few hours later I have moved at most 8 meters from it. So, command the pet to /stay at the concentration peak. You do not need any /afk since that will just toggle your AFK stays on and off all the time without any benefit at all.

/Zimoon

Paria
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Paria » Thu May 14, 2009 7:28 am

Both "Cybernetic Deconstruction Arm" and "Beast Knowledge: Resource Scavenger" collections never start if you use "An Inorganic Surveying Tool" (from an Aurilia quest of the past), a regular surveying tool is required.

I use to run second macro looping every 15mn (900sec) to recast Elder buff.
Now I have a brand new quenker I will add the ressource scavenger buff to it.

Now a question :D
A macro feeding your pet while you are hand sampling is useless or not?
Arnh Stardust (Armorsmith or Shipwright) & Mamaria (Droids and Beasts crafter) in ORION on Lok (Chimaera server).

alibegoa
Novice Crafter

Post by alibegoa » Thu May 14, 2009 9:20 am

Paria wrote:Both "Cybernetic Deconstruction Arm" and "Beast Knowledge: Resource Scavenger" collections never start if you use "An Inorganic Surveying Tool" (from an Aurilia quest of the past), a regular surveying tool is required.

I use to run second macro looping every 15mn (900sec) to recast Elder buff.
Now I have a brand new quenker I will add the ressource scavenger buff to it.

Well I just now finished Resource Scavenger and I only ever use An Inorganic Surveying Tool.
However Cybernetic Deconstruction Arm does not start and I was wondering about this. Will try with other tools.

Paria
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Paria » Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 am

During several weeks I have hand sampled resources without knowing nothing about that Cybernetic Deconstruction Arm collection.
Then learning some hints I used a regular mineral surveying tool, the popup window appeared with the needed option and the collection could start.

Yesterday I first started to hand sample with An Inorganic Surveying Tool and a new pet out: The popup window appears without the needed option.
So I decide to use a regular chemical surveying tool and finally the popup window appeared with the needed option to start the collection.

Strange thing that you do not experiment the issues on both collections, but SWG is not an accurate science :mrgreen:

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Paria wrote:
Not useless, but can affect happiness of the pet. He/she/it will get hungry. I don't know if that affects the scavenger ability, but it will affect damage and other abilities in the off chance you need him to defend you.

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tech Twin » Thu May 14, 2009 1:43 pm

I tested with both a feeding macro and without. Never had combat affect me while hand sampling but it is possible.

I think you're fine without one. Even on planets my pet hates, as long as I feed him in 12 - 14 hours I didn't see any negative effects from the pet. It doesnt effect the sampling ability or buff.

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

lauralana9
Novice Crafter

Post by lauralana9 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:53 am

Most of the time this macro works for me but somtimes it fails and I never actually pull up any resource. Tonight it keeps skipping the pulling bit. Right now part of my chat window looks like:

22:45:21 You Start following Todd
22:45:24 You are already Sampling
22:45:371 You Start following Todd
22:45:39 You are already Sampling
22:45:521 You Start following Todd
22:45:55 You are already Sampling
22:46:08 You Start following Todd
22:46:10 You are already Sampling
22:46:23 You Start following Todd
22:46:26 You are already Sampling

Over and over. I'm not pulling any resource, nor am I using any action, she is just kneeling there. The macro is correct in my game, I cut and pasted from here. Can anyone help me.

Paria
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Paria » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:08 am

I have recently experimented this problem on Mustafar when the ground was not flat at all while Zimoon's hand sampling macro was running.
My trader was shortly running, it looks like if he was trying to follow his pet without success, the same message was displayed continuously.

I also had the same problem once in the past with my old hand sampling macros.
Macro_2 was casting Elder buff + a /follow every 15mn ... I had my mouse droid (veteran reward) in target.
In that case I think that I was to close from an elite mineral installation (we were doing a private contest together).
Arnh Stardust (Armorsmith or Shipwright) & Mamaria (Droids and Beasts crafter) in ORION on Lok (Chimaera server).

lauralana9
Novice Crafter

Post by lauralana9 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:55 am

Thats where I am today is Mustafar. I didnt even think about the uneven ground issue, that explains it. Thank you very much.

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:15 pm

fridge33sam wrote:
Paria wrote:
Not useless, but can affect happiness of the pet. He/she/it will get hungry. I don't know if that affects the scavenger ability, but it will affect damage and other abilities in the off chance you need him to defend you.
I run my sampling macros as a 'set'. I have the looping macro with sampling/pause/stand/afk by itself. Now that I have the resource scavenger I have it set to run with a 15 minute pause (I think that's the timer of the ability). I have a 3rd macro running to feed my pet every hour.

I don't use the /follow on a macro, I just set that up when I find my place to set up. I first summon my pet (squill atm) use the pet command for stay, then fire off the /follow. I only had 1 day that my Mon Cal wondered away from my pet, but I think I forgot to give the follow command.

/slakkarr

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tech Twin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:38 pm

lauralana9 wrote:Most of the time this macro works for me but somtimes it fails and I never actually pull up any resource. Tonight it keeps skipping the pulling bit. Right now part of my chat window looks like:

22:45:21 You Start following Todd
22:45:24 You are already Sampling
22:45:371 You Start following Todd
22:45:39 You are already Sampling
22:45:521 You Start following Todd
22:45:55 You are already Sampling
22:46:08 You Start following Todd
22:46:10 You are already Sampling
22:46:23 You Start following Todd
22:46:26 You are already Sampling

Over and over. I'm not pulling any resource, nor am I using any action, she is just kneeling there. The macro is correct in my game, I cut and pasted from here. Can anyone help me.

I have had several issues using the /follow command without the /stopfollow afterward. I use a similar macro to Zimoon's with just a few minor changes.

Code: Select all

/ui action petToolBarSlot3;
/pause 1;
/sample;
/pause 4;
/stand;
/ui action defaultButton;
/pause 8;
/follow Tipper;
/pause 2;
/stopfollow;
/m sampleT
It's a few lines longer but I've never missed a sampling cycle with this macro. Even in the craziest terrain.

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:17 pm

OK, here's my noob follow up:

Why is it important to do the /stopfollow? Is there a reason to reset that with each cycle? Other than the one time that I mentioned above I haven't wondered off path too horribly over 24hours. Is that because I am butting myself against an impassable object (a rock, a miner, the edge of the map, etc.)?

I'm so confused...

/Slakkarr