NVM - All sorted now!

Moderator: Forum Moderator

cnagea
Novice Crafter

NVM - All sorted now!

Post by cnagea » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi all,

This may be me being stupid, but I'm not able to get SWGAide to run :( I am running Windows 7 and have the latest Java installed. If I try to associated the swgaide.jar with IE then I get a download box up when I run it, this just tries to create another copy of the .jar?

Having looked through various forums on how to get .jar's to run, I tried to associated it with javaw.exe but am still unable to run it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Cnagea

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: NVM - All sorted now!

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi and welcome around, great to see new people using SWGAide as well as here at this site :mrgreen:

I guess the issue is sorted by now, from reading the subject line. Should there be anything, you are always welcome to ask. Remember that SWGAide comes with quite a lot of help files and documentation. There are read-me files in the downloaded ZIP file and elsewhere, and in SWGAide you can press F1 at the keyboard to get access to the documentation.

Greetings
/Zimoon

cnagea
Novice Crafter

Post by cnagea » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi Zimoon,

Many thanks for your response, and yes, I did manage to get the problem sorted! Possibly others may experience the same problem as I did, I'm not sure if you want to add my solution to your readme? The basic issue was that I couldn't even get SWGAide.jar to run the install, despite having Java installed correctly. I ended up writing a batch file and using that to launch SWGAide, the contents of the batch file are:

"C:\program files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "f:\star wars galaxies\swgaide\swgaide.jar"

where C:\program files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin is the location of my Java installation and
f:\star wars galaxies\swgaide is the location of my SWGAide installation folder.
Note that without the speech marks this command doesn't run.

Basically I just call the jar file via the java applet directly. Not as tidy as it could be, but it worked for me!

Thanks,

Cnagea

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:23 pm

OK, thanks for the feedback. It seems there is something wrong with the installation of Java, or more likely with the permissions in Windows when Java was installed. In the read-me file that comes with SWGAide, perhaps you have the time to read and test the section named "Launching problems". Does anything of that resolve your issue?

Cheers

/Zimoon