Highlight Colors Change

Moderator: Forum Moderator

durwin
Novice Crafter

Highlight Colors Change

Post by durwin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 am

When I initially look at the resources 'All Resources', a certain resource will have certain colors. When I go to the specific category 'Inorganic' that same resource has different colors, sometimes a stat which had a color no long does. When I go back the all, it returns to what 'All Resources' had at beginning. I checked the actual numbers and they were the same. Any reason or fix for this?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Highlight Colors Change

Post by Zimoon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:49 am

durwin wrote:When I initially look at the resources 'All Resources', a certain resource will have certain colors. When I go to the specific category 'Inorganic' that same resource has different colors, sometimes a stat which had a color no long does. When I go back the all, it returns to what 'All Resources' had at beginning. I checked the actual numbers and they were the same. Any reason or fix for this?
Hi Durwin,
At a guess you are asking about SWGAide, right?
This works as intended.
This is described in detail, with an example, in the help text. Click F1 when you are at panel you have questions about, the help system is decently "context sensitive".

In any case, when no resource class (or "all") is selected the stats are colored relative the caps of the resource class of the resource itself. But if you select a resource class the coloring is relative the selected resource class and not relative the resource itself. This is kind of how game works, if you want to know which Coppers that have good SR you do not want to know that there is an awesome Beyrllius Copper with SR=483 (it is capped), but you want to see which Coppers that are close to 800, right?

So an example, assume a Quadranium Steel with CD=540 which is a capped Quadranium Steel:
Without a selected resource class its CD will display red, unless you have customized the colors.
Select Mineral, then it will turn white, CD for Mineral goes all the way up to 1000 and 540 is not close.
Select Metal, same thing.
Select Non-Ferrous Metal, now the color will change to green since 540 is better than 80% of 650 which is the cap for Non-Ferrous Metal.
Select Steel, same thing.
Select Quadranium Steeland now it cons red, since it is capped.

I suggest you read the Beginners Guide for Traders, in the General Crafting forum board, chapter on Power Crafting, to get an understanding of how caps of resource classes versus schematics' resource slots works in-game. If you have, disregard the suggestion comment. SWGAide just tries to show what is important when you are crafting. However, when nothing is selected I assume players want to get a quick overview of resource which are valuable in themselves.

----

Finally, warmly welcome to SWGCraft, good to see new faces here :D

/Zimoon

durwin
Novice Crafter

Post by durwin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 am

Well, I don't see why it is done that way. I do not see how caps on Wheat relates to caps on steel. I would like to see how the caps of a resource relates to itself, not to some other unrelated resource, and I would like a view of them all from the top level so I know where to go for the *best* of the moment. Could perhaps a check box option be provided to offer the 2 options?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:26 am

It is obvious you don't understand Resource Caps. Im not sure I can explain it any better then Z has in the above post or his "Famous Guide". Reread the Guide and maybe Lunariel's work on Resource Caps. Lunariel is technical and exhaustive on the subject, but maybe it will help you see the light. Failing that, I would suggest you find an experienced Crafter on Bloodfin who can talk you through it one on one. Good Luck.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:53 pm

I agree with Savacc, first read Beginners Guide for Traders then we start over. However...
durwin wrote:I do not see how caps on Wheat relates to caps on steel
Either you are just trying to make a joke which falls flat, really flat, or you have simply not played around enough with SWGAide --- you never said if it was SWGAide or any other application or web page --- to find out how it really works. The reason I put it this way is that Wheat has absolutely nothing to do with Steel, in fact they are so disparate as it is possible and there is no schematic in SWG where you could replace one for the other, thence there is no application which is implemented in that way. Wheat is Organic, Steel is Inorganic, they can never switch place with each other.

The most crucial understanding of crafting in SWG is to accept, yes, you really have to cave in and accept the fact that the schematic is king. If the schematic reads that it must have Rori Fiberplast it will never ever accept any other Fiberplast, not even if all of the stats read 1000. But, if the schematic calls for Fiberplast or Chemical or Mineral that Rori Fiberplast would work great.

Also, it is what King Schematic says that rules which caps are important. Thus, you may see that Quadranium Steel with all stats colored "great" when it is colored relative itself. But if the schematic calls for generic Steel the Quadranium Steel is not great at all, subsequently it is even the lousier if the schematic calls for Non-Ferrous Metal or Metal or Mineral or Inorganic, named in the order of less specified and the more generic. So, what the schematic calls for is the most important data, not what the resource looks like just compared to its own resource class.

Caps simply works this way:
  • the most generic resource class has no caps at all
    • with one exception: Energy has a lower cap on OQ, a useless cap
  • drill down the resource class tree, the more specific resource classes have the more narrow caps (if they change at all)
    • with one exception: JTL resource classes do not have caps at all, superseding their parent resource classes
This is why we say that resource classes form a resource class tree, at each node new branches split, all the way out to the leaves which are the real resource classes which spawn in SWG. You do not harvest Metal, you harvest a specific resource with a given name and fixed stats which may be a sub-sub-sub-class of Metal. But a schematic may call for Metal and specify which stats that Metal must meet, then some of all Metals you have on stock are better than the others --- but only in combination with the other resources that schematic calls for.

Have a look at the graphical Resource Tree here at SWGCraft and you will see how these relates. There you can also see the Wheat and Steel has nothing in relationship which each other, I am kind and interpret your comment as ignorance.

This is how the game works! This has nothing to with any utilities or whatever.

So, for SWGAide and at its panel named Current Resources (and analogously for other panels where it is possible to filter for resource classes):
  • If no resource class is selected or if "All Resources" is selected:
    • All current resources which are reported by players at SWGCraft are displayed
    • The coloring is determined by the stats of the resource versus the resource class of that resource, or put shorter...
      Coloring is done relative itself
  • Select a resource class...
    • SWGAide displays only resources which are sub-classing the selected resource class
    • Coloring is determined by the stats of each resource versus the selected resource class, or put shorter...
      Coloring is done relative the selection
  • Drill down the resource class tree...
    • The number of resources up for display decreases as there are the less sub-classes with the more specific selection
    • Coloring will change but it will always be determined by the stats of each resource versus the selected resource class
Is this coloring scheme good or bad?
Considering that every utility I have seen since I started playing SWG in 2004 have used this coloring logic, with no exceptions, I guess the answer if "good". Some utilities have not colored "relative itself" when nothing was selected, these utilities have most often been incomplete and vanished quickly. Considering that the hundreds of users of SWGAide have not drenched me in complaints I also guess that they are happy with its current state.

A summary of why this coloring scheme is chosen boils down to just two things:
  • Provide a way to make resources which are great in themselves to stand out at a glance --- an eye catcher
    This is when no resource class is selected, coloring is done relative itself
  • Provide a way to make resources which are great for a specified resource class to stand out
    This is when you drill down the resource class tree
    Eventually, when you have drilled down as deep as possible, a particular resource will have exactly the same coloring as it had when no class was selected
There are also many other small tricks involved, but read the guide and you will see how to leverage some of them. Knowing and using about them to your advantage makes crafting fun, the challenge it is not in any other MMO out there.

I repeat myself and wish you warmly welcomed around. I am well aware of how hard it is to convey my kind concern while writing in a foreign language and at the same time explain something when there is a misunderstanding. However, I really do welcome you and any newcomers around :D

Good luck!

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:11 pm

PS: If you do have suggestions and ideas I would happily read them and see what could be done :D

durwin
Novice Crafter

Post by durwin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks zimoon, your explanation help me to understand. I went back and looked at a resource at the 'All Resources' level and compared them to the individual resource and the colors were the same. This is the coloring I am looking for. I just didn't know when a class with subclasses was selected, that it had its own caps. This makes sense now. Thank you.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:17 pm

durwin wrote:Thanks zimoon, your explanation help me to understand. I went back and looked at a resource at the 'All Resources' level and compared them to the individual resource and the colors were the same. This is the coloring I am looking for. I just didn't know when a class with subclasses was selected, that it had its own caps. This makes sense now. Thank you.
Thanks, you're welcome :)