SWGAide Wish-list: Suggestions, Ideas, and Must-Have

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Re: SWGAide Wish-list: Suggestions, Ideas, and Must-Have

Post by Swedishoyster » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:06 am

OK, I was trying to use the new schematics section in SWGaide instead of SWGcraft's schematics section, but it's still not useable, I guess the whole point is to be able to plan and edit your excel sheets and stuff *offline* when swg and/or swgcraft.co.uk is down or whatever right?

Anyway, we use my favorite Enzyme Centrifuge as an example.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8706/swgaide.jpg

This is how swgaide currently show it.
On the left hand it lists it to have 1250 resources (400+700+150) and 1 Enzyme Centrifuge Motor
I can also learn that it's a structure trader who make the Enzyme Centrifuge.
On the left side there is a shopping list, listing 4500 resources and 1 Enzyme Centrifuge Motor.
My brilliant mind then quickly calculates that a motor then will use 3250 resources.
It doesn't howevber tell me what profession makes said motor, and the name isn't clickable. As the only filtering available is by profession that really doesn't help, so I have to browse the whole thing.

After finally finding the Enzyme Centrifuge Motor (it's made by DE) THEN and only then I get the information that the motor ALSO have a sub part, 1 Enzyme Centrifuge Burst Piston (made by a ws but swgaide doesn't tell me that, i have to try to find it myself).

I deliberately didn't log on to swgcraft or swg, because I wanted to try to see of swgaide is useable for what i would use it for in it current form.

I then erased my mind and notes and tried to do the same on swgcraft's schemtics page instead, it looks like this:
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7876/swgcraft.jpg

as you can see, all information is available at a glance, the sub parts doesn't list what profession, but as they are clickable links, that's quite easy to find out anyway. the only thibng I like better in swgaide is the factory function that tells me estimated crafting time (BRILLIANT IDEA).

Finally to be complete, this is the spreadsheet i used

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3032/spreadsheet.jpg

Now, this is to be seen as constructive critic, as in Hey, good job so far keep it up!
Just wanted to let you know how I would use the schematics section and what i think is a bit lacking at the moment, I'm pretty sure you are aware of all this and that it will be implemented in the future, if not, well then see it as another suggestion from me :-)

To make it absolutely clear, I really like the way the schematics are improving and you guys are making one helluva job! Having a job and family on my own I also realize that the day only have 25 hours so I want you to look at this articlte proving you don't need 8 hours of sleep, 6.5 hours actually makes you live longer... http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 20,00.html
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:12 pm

"Sleep"? :lol:

Yes, as advertised this is the very first steps of many. The resources section did not happen over night either. Another version is coming this weekend, with improved browsing and more info.

Next step after that is about schematic <---> resources.

/Zimoon

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:03 am

Ah yes the new update really adressed most of my concerns, good job.
One thing though, now when you can click on a subcomponent to get that schematic, it doesnt work if your current filter is another profession. Let's take, you guessed it, Enzyme Centrifuge as an example:

To easily find it I filter SWGaide for Structure and choose Enzyme Centrifuge in the list, that brings up that schematic.
Now I can click the subcomponent Enzyme Centrifuge Motor BUT SWGaide doesn't fetch me that schematic since it's made by an Droid Engineer and my filter is set to only show Structure. now I happen to know it's made by DE, but for the unknowing it's not easy to know how to bring that schematic up, even when unfiltering it it's still "bugged" and I must choose another schematic, then go back to Enzyme Centrifuge before it works again.

This is a minor flaw and could easily be fixed in a number of ways, a dialoge popup saying that the schematic is filtered out, do I want to remove the filter/ change it to the correct one. Or by stating the professsion needed in the top schematic so you at least get a clue where to look, or by changing to the correct filter or just remove the filter when clicking on a schematic link "outside of the current filter".

Remember that it's when it's another trade profession that makes the subpart it's most important to inform the crafter about that fact.

Oh I just got an Epifany.
How about if you (the user) could make custom made filtering, like you could make a filter for "Beast master" thus showing all the schematics concerning BM stuff, the hardware, consumables and pet food regardless of the profession. then you could export/import it and share it to others just like the swgaide guards.

/Estrella, chairman of the Enzyme Centrifuge Fan Club :-)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Swedishoyster wrote:Ah yes the new update really adressed most of my concerns, good job.
One thing though, now when you can click on a subcomponent to get that schematic, it doesnt work if your current filter is another profession. Let's take, you guessed it, Enzyme Centrifuge as an example:

To easily find it I filter SWGaide for Structure and choose Enzyme Centrifuge in the list, that brings up that schematic.
Now I can click the subcomponent Enzyme Centrifuge Motor BUT SWGaide doesn't fetch me that schematic since it's made by an Droid Engineer and my filter is set to only show Structure. now I happen to know it's made by DE, but for the unknowing it's not easy to know how to bring that schematic up, even when unfiltering it it's still "bugged" and I must choose another schematic, then go back to Enzyme Centrifuge before it works again.

This is a minor flaw and could easily be fixed in a number of ways, a dialoge popup saying that the schematic is filtered out, do I want to remove the filter/ change it to the correct one. Or by stating the professsion needed in the top schematic so you at least get a clue where to look, or by changing to the correct filter or just remove the filter when clicking on a schematic link "outside of the current filter".

Remember that it's when it's another trade profession that makes the subpart it's most important to inform the crafter about that fact.

I am aware of this but thought it would not hurt too much.
I will add so a dialog shows up telling the required profession, perhaps a mini-view of the details. I will not make it tamper with filters and so, that will just make it the harder to "undo".
Thanks for the input --- greatly appreciated.

Oh I just got an Epifany.
How about if you (the user) could make custom made filtering, like you could make a filter for "Beast master" thus showing all the schematics concerning BM stuff, the hardware, consumables and pet food regardless of the profession. then you could export/import it and share it to others just like the swgaide guards.
If the data exist in the xml file, yes. Otherwise every little detail must be provided/obtained somehow.
Now, in one of the future versions you will be able to add schematics to a "favorites" and you will be able to have several favorite lists. So, this makes it possible to add to a favorite named "BM" and you can save and export it, right? Probably the favorites will go into the profession filter, I have not figured that out yet --- comments please. But favorites will definitely be at the next panel where schematic versus resources will go.

This said, yes, lists favorites will definitely work closely to exported lists of guards. I guess it would be possible to package some with the installation of SWGAide as well, such as BM, Chu Gon-Dar, etc. That depends on user submission, right? :)

/Estrella, chairman of the Enzyme Centrifuge Fan Club :-)
Lady in red ... eeeeh ... I mean .... what do I mean? 8)

/Zimoon

Diggity
Novice Crafter

Post by Diggity » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 am

Been a while since I posted here and couldn't find the original topic. I just want to thank Zimoon for SWG Aide again.

After the problems I had with converting to the new swgAide (user error made it eat my resource inventory in one gulp) and inputting unrecorded resources from my old dead server, I took a break from trying to parse that huge list for a while. Ive been sorting by hand ingame when I craft, but finally got around to finishing off the last of the data entry.

With the changes you made to how resource names were searched from the ingame /notes, I found almost 30 resources that were incorrectly input with different names, classes, and of course stats.

Thank you! It seems for the first time, my inventory is complete and correct... all dependent on maintaining it, of course. :)

Now... filters!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks, and I can report that the next version is coming along just fine, possibly in a week or two, depending on my wife's temper :lol:

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:54 am

In the harvesters section...

It would be great if you could mark a range of harvesters like in windows, you know with either holding shift or ctrl down to select all 10 of my geothermal harvesters that just despawned :-(

When you mark a harvester for depleted resources you could get an option to re-deed/stay put or delete the harvester (or range of harvesters marked, or all harvesters using that resource).

When you mark a harvester you only get the option to re-deed or stay put, a third option to delte it would be awesome.

I just had 40 geo harvesters depleting and I had to first mark the resource as depleted, then manually select each one of them to re-deed them, then manually select each one of them to manually delete them, a lot of clicking was involved.

I always delete the deeds (in swgaide not in game lol) because once they are deeded, there is no way for me to identify it with the one in swgaides database as they don't keep their names.

This is not a request just a small wish how it would be a bit faster to remove the harvesters a bit faster once a resource is depleted.

oh and another annoying thing in this section...

where you are supposed to put in the stats for a harvester, you know where you put in the
percentage, money and power, there is a 0 there from start. If I just put the mouse there and type i get 095% instead of 95% and 010000 power instead of 10000. now I don't know if that matter in any way but it's quite annoying when you handling 40-50 harvesters at the same time.

Just my two öre... :-)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Comments on some items (in red), not saying it will never happen though ;)
Swedishoyster wrote:In the harvesters section...

It would be great if you could mark a range of harvesters like in windows, you know with either holding shift or ctrl down to select all 10 of my geothermal harvesters that just despawned :-(
Use the "cluster" feature and set it to 10, denoting you have 10 geo harvies at that location. Then you do not need 10 harvies active in SWGAide. I assume your harvies are quite identical BER. and hopper-wise, and that you fill them up with similar amount of maintenance. Set it to highest concentration to get the fill-warning when the quickest one is about to fill up. You will still need to adjust the final amount of gathered resources...

When you mark a harvester for depleted resources you could get an option to re-deed/stay put or delete the harvester (or range of harvesters marked, or all harvesters using that resource).

When you mark a harvester you only get the option to re-deed or stay put, a third option to delte it would be awesome.
You can delete harvesters at the list of all harvesters. I thought the the active list to be for active stuff, and the two other tables for managing harvesters and users. Elaborate, please. Why do you want to delete an active harvester?

I just had 40 geo harvesters depleting and I had to first mark the resource as depleted, then manually select each one of them to re-deed them, then manually select each one of them to manually delete them, a lot of clicking was involved.

I always delete the deeds (in swgaide not in game lol) because once they are deeded, there is no way for me to identify it with the one in swgaides database as they don't keep their names.
If the harvies have different BER/hopper-size, name them from that perhaps. Plus use the cluster option as mentioned above.

This is not a request just a small wish how it would be a bit faster to remove the harvesters a bit faster once a resource is depleted.

oh and another annoying thing in this section...

where you are supposed to put in the stats for a harvester, you know where you put in the
percentage, money and power, there is a 0 there from start. If I just put the mouse there and type i get 095% instead of 95% and 010000 power instead of 10000. now I don't know if that matter in any way but it's quite annoying when you handling 40-50 harvesters at the same time.
I will look into the "zero"-thing. On the other hand, it is absolutely harmless to have the leading zero. It is just your eyes that are hurt 8)

Just my two öre... :-)
Some kronor back then :P
/Zimoon

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 pm

OK the cluster thing is something I haven't even looked at, that would indeed speed things up.

If the zeroes are harmless then no need to change them :-)

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 am

Update: Clusters work fine, amazing i haven't used it before :-)

btw, are the warning sounds in swgcraft hardcoded or can you put in any mp3 (or whatever format is used)?

Would LOVE to put in vader's quote "Your powers are weak old man" when harvesters are low on energy.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:00 am

Swedishoyster wrote:Update: Clusters work fine, amazing i haven't used it before :-)

btw, are the warning sounds in swgcraft hardcoded or can you put in any mp3 (or whatever format is used)?

Would LOVE to put in vader's quote "Your powers are weak old man" when harvesters are low on energy.
I would love that one too :)
Sorry I haven't had the time and energy to login in such a long time. Last time that happened I was on vacation 8)

Work and chores, and more work. Then into bed hammering at my laptop, coding SWGAide :roll:

The alert and warning sounds are indeed hard coded. However, everything is already setup for changing that, however, I postponed it until another options dialog is added, one for quite some more settings that people have asked for. It is scheduled for about the same time I begin relaxing requirement on file paths to SWG and the DAT file and that stuff.

I also need to look into which audio formats that are supported out of the box in Java, I don't want to add a big chunk of code for some odd audio codec.

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:17 am

Because of a recent discussion and some confusion I want to ask:
How many of you guys would want a "skin" in SWGAide that displays the schematics and categories your own style?

With this I do not mean a color skin or s the similar, but I mean the structure of how they are presented at the Draft Schematics panel. If you for example want to come up with your own "tree" of categories different from the current scheme, and wire schematics into your own categories.

While this is perhaps a weeks work on my side (I am still waiting for company at the team) it is not effortless at your side: You need to come up with a list of all categories you want to display; each category must tell which is its parent (the topmost categories relate to a grandpa with id=0). Then list all schematics, more than 1800, and tell its category. A list could look like (just a made-up sketch, nothing real...yet):

Code: Select all

REMOVED -- CRAPPED -- REMOVED
schem_id=2000...
Quite some work, so to speak. And the more fine-graded resolution on categories and so forth the more work. More or less it is to build a "tree" where each "child" knows its "parent", the id and pid relation. And all hundreds and hundreds schematics know their "parent pid.

It is doable, but is it worthwhile? Is it something players want to play with?

And it won't happen before the summer, unless you threaten or bribe me, or unless you in union yells "we do not want anything else but this!!!"

Greetings
Zimoon

Tharek Tolemac
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tharek Tolemac » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Maybe it has been suggested already:

My wish is a filter in the laboratory, so you can for example filter for Domestic schematics only. :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Tharek Tolemac wrote:Maybe it has been suggested already:

My wish is a filter in the laboratory, so you can for example filter for Domestic schematics only. :)
This will not come true. I am coding on the improved favorite/assignee stuff, and then you add your "domestic stuff" to such a list of favorites. That adding will be more automatized and better managed :)

There are several reasons for this ... uuhm ... added complexity. I hold my breath somewhat because I have some wild ideas but do not know yet what it takes do realize them ... timewise I mean.

However, it would be simple to add so only those schematics that are filtered for at the Draft Schematics panel are listed at the Laboratory. Would that do?

/Zimoon

Tharek Tolemac
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tharek Tolemac » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 pm

I think so :)