SWGAide Wish-list: Suggestions, Ideas, and Must-Have

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:25 am

Zimoon wrote:Even if you think of something that you believe I will add, perhaps it is something that never crossed my mind, a distrait fellow like me
It would be nice have on every schematic what tool, crafting station and what SKILL it will use.
For example, it's not immediately obvious for an Munitions Trader what skill is used for Beast Dietary Supplement A - Mark II, some BM's says that all the BM stuff is using Weapon skill, some say it's artisan. There is nothing stated on swgcraft.org which one it is. For an unexperienced crafter there really s no way to tell without trial and error. As it demands Munition Mastery VI and a general tool, my guess would be it should be used with a Weapon assembly/experimentation suit but I'm not at all sure myself.

So, at least on the not so obvious stuff it would be very nice to have stated what assembly/experimentation skills are used and what tools/crafting stations.

Oh, and how to get a certain schematic would be cool too, like if the schematic is inherited, or a collection reward, or a quest reward etc, for example, it took me quite a while to figure out that the Crafted Armor Color Kit Schematic is actually bought from the meat lumps (no hint about it on swgcraft, I found that snip of info on swg.wikia).

EDIT: Bah after re-reading i saw that this thread was for bug reports only, not wishes, sorry, got very enthusiastic... Don't know how to move this post either :-(
EDIT 2: When I say that the info is not on swgcraft, I mean the "View Schematic" function, it's probably on the forums if you know where to look...
Last edited by Zimoon on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re:

Post by Zimoon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 am

Swedishoyster wrote:
Zimoon wrote:Even if you think of something that you believe I will add, perhaps it is something that never crossed my mind, a distrait fellow like me
It would be nice have on every schematic what tool, crafting station and what SKILL it will use.
For example, it's not immediately obvious for an Munitions Trader what skill is used for Beast Dietary Supplement A - Mark II, some BM's says that all the BM stuff is using Weapon skill, some say it's artisan. There is nothing stated on swgcraft.org which one it is. For an unexperienced crafter there really s no way to tell without trial and error. As it demands Munition Mastery VI and a general tool, my guess would be it should be used with a Weapon assembly/experimentation suit but I'm not at all sure myself.

So, at least on the not so obvious stuff it would be very nice to have stated what assembly/experimentation skills are used and what tools/crafting stations.

Yes, this would be really cool :mrgreen:

However, the information needs to be somewhere. It is over 1800 schematics. Even if the info is available for some schematics, to be useful it should be available in some generic form. Future schematics, especially those from loot/reward/faction/Chu-Gon Dar etc., must also be supported.

Oh, and how to get a certain schematic would be cool too, like if the schematic is inherited, or a collection reward, or a quest reward etc, for example, it took me quite a while to figure out that the Crafted Armor Color Kit Schematic is actually bought from the meat lumps (no hint about it on swgcraft, I found that snip of info on swg.wikia).

Use the comment field at the schematics page here at SWGCraft. Anybody can add comments there. Just a few weeks ago I actually suggested to the developers here how to deal with comments that are "good enough" to be included in the "info" field, but still keep it apart from that field because that is what is read at the schematic itself. We will see what they come up with, it involves quite some maintenance to handle though, browse the comments and promote/edit some information. For mow it is the comments field and browsing SWGCraft that works, SWGAide is not really replacing the site 8)

EDIT: Bah after re-reading i saw that this thread was for bug reports only, not wishes, sorry, got very enthusiastic... Don't know how to move this post either :-(
EDIT 2: When I say that the info is not on swgcraft, I mean the "View Schematic" function, it's probably on the forums if you know where to look...
I am all ears :)

/Zimoon

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Re: SWGAide Wish-list: Suggestions, Ideas, and Must-Have

Post by Swedishoyster » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 am

Will there be a "comment field" in swgaide for the user to edit as he wish?
It would be useful to be able to put in your sell price, or other personal notes on some schematics.

Oh and while I'm still on wishes, imagine choosing a schematic, then marking the desired resources, putting in desired lowest value and then being able to create a resource guard with the click on a button (yeah far-fetched but hey, it does say Wish-list).

Another cool feature would be to be able to print out your chosen schematic, no matter how many swgaide and excel sheets I use, i still use up loads of post-it notes and small notebooks for this.

Maybe a factory handling page similar to harvesters in swgaide.

since swgaide is in java is it possible (theorethically) to run it in non-windows environments? like those small linux EEE PC or even smartphones?

Need to calm down now, my brain is overflooding with the possibilities :-)

I'm not an expert in any profession really even though I'm pretty proud of my armoursmith but if you guys need help with some menial task I'm your guy...

Seldom_Bored
Novice Crafter

Schematic Request

Post by Seldom_Bored » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 am

I was wondering if it would be possible sometime after you have implemented schematics fully and they are functional to have a separate "Favorites" tab from the "Draft Schematics" tab. It would function as a sort of "filter" to weed out all of the unnecessary schematics and only list those you use.

For example, an AS only uses around 6-9 schematics(besides all of the armor appearances) when making armor. There are the three armor segments, three cores, and then three main layers. the exampled AS would be able to somehow click each schematic from the main tab, and have it move to the favorites tab. Then, the AS would click on the favorites tab and have all schematics displayed there that they have selected as their favorites.

Is this even possible?

Is it something that anyone else would find useful?

Is this just something that would waste time and I would be the only one to use?

Feedback please.

Seldom_Bored
Novice Crafter

Post by Seldom_Bored » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:56 am

Swedishoyster wrote:Will there be a "comment field" in swgaide for the user to edit as he wish?
It would be useful to be able to put in your sell price, or other personal notes on some schematics.
This sounds like a great idea!

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Schematic Request

Post by Swedishoyster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:15 am

Yes that is a very good idea, would be useful for most professions I think.

I would definitely use such a function, and we all know Zimoon just lie around all day watching his wall paint dry, so get to it ;-)

Jokes aside, I wish I could help but I know nothing about programming, but I do have some basic database knowledge and a filter function (that's basically what this is, right?) isn't all that hard to implement I think, just a matter of getting a true/false field...

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:41 pm

I am listening :D

Once there I will ask more specific questions on the details.

The notepad request, is that per schematic or one general or both?

That said, I have improved the first version and there will be a follow up this weekend, I hope, unless the sky falls down on me. One thing I think you will like is that empty nodes in the category tree are now hidden by default (there is of course an option to display all :wink:) which removes quite some clutter and make browsing a lot more pleasant.

However, I want to ask once again...
We had a poll regarding the best way to present all the schematics, and the majority (was it 4 out of 5? :mrgreen:) voted for "tree-style". Is this still the major consensus?

Personally I like the tree-style, but I sometimes I would prefer a long alphabetical list. Hence I have added that as a tiny drop-down alongside with the profession/level filters below the tree. But I am open for discussion here. It is actually not too hard to replace the tree with a large alphabetical list. But if the interest is low I would like to postpone any such stuff until more of the cool features are in place and then go back and add the lip-stick and rogue later on. Comments?

The upcoming version will have the two items already mentioned (hide empty nodes and alphabetical drop-down) plus shopping list which also can be written to in-game notes-file named "shop.txt" --- opened with /notes shop. Possibly a "used in"-list is included.

For this first panel, this is planned:
Click a component will go to the schematic.
Means to go backwards, as a web browser back.
Means to create guards from a selected schematic with preset data.
Add so user can select default components in each component category (lower prio).
Add so user can select if each optional component should be "pre-selected" (lower prio).

More panels related to schematics versus current resources versus inventory --- including quality.
And some more surprise features. Stay tuned :)

/Zimoon

PS: I know this upgrade has taken some time, there was some issues with the GUI and mouse clicks, some unresolved but at least not stopping anything any longer.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Schematic Request

Post by Zimoon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Seldom_Bored wrote:I was wondering if it would be possible sometime after you have implemented schematics fully and they are functional to have a separate "Favorites" tab from the "Draft Schematics" tab.
Already at my backlog :D

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:10 am

Keep up the good work, have you guys never considered a paypal account for donations?

I feel bad just using the stuff and surely other would like to show their appreciation as well, if nothing else just to keep this site up and running...

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Swedishoyster wrote:Keep up the good work, have you guys never considered a paypal account for donations?

I feel bad just using the stuff and surely other would like to show their appreciation as well, if nothing else just to keep this site up and running...
As for SWGCraft: http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... l&start=15

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:25 am

Ok more ideas for the schematics section...
Since the servers are down atm I can't verify this, but I assume the order of schematics are the same as the bazaar right?
Sometimes it would be easier to find a schematic if it was sorted by crafting tool instead, maybe a switch, sort by bazaar or sort by tool. Would be good if you then could mark a schematic while sorted by tool, then being able to switch to sort by bazaar and still have the item chosen (because sometimes it's very hard to find where the darn thing is hidden lol).

Also a search function would be good.

I like the latest update of swgaide, the schematic part start to be really useful now, keep up the good work.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 pm

To my understanding the crafting tool is sorted the same way as the Bazaar, for most items. With one distinction, the tools use the upper-hand tabs for one of the tiers.

What you probably see is the "component categories" which are not displayed at the Bazaar. I tried to describe them in the new help text for the schematics panel, give F1 a try. But for a crafter I believe component categories are essential, you really want to know what you can select from when you read a certain category at a schematic, right?

Or have I misunderstood something?

To be able to sort the tree differently I need the information, and I do not have it.
If somebody made a list of all schematics and for each spelled out the name of the tab and the name of the category it is doable and I guess it is done in less than an hour --- this time I have learned not to make the underlying model to static but highly dynamic and flexible :D

In fact, it is only the schematics that do not follow the usual pattern, the exceptions, that are essential, not those that follow the same pattern.

Who said it is impossible to learn old dogs new tricks? 8)

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:43 pm

The sorted by tool would be cool. And I guess Sobuno is interested too because this info should really be in the schematics database. However, in general it is the most obvious tool that is used for the profession, I only see players ask when it is about looted or awarded schematics which do not behave intuitively.

That said, only the exceptions from the general intuition are necessary to track down. For now that info can be added at the comment field at the schematics.

Could it be added to SWGAide? Yes, if the information exists.
Is it high priority? No, today you can filter on profession which very much resembles filter on tool.
But I take notes and will think about it :wink:

Let the ideas keep coming, no idea is too small or stupid. At least not before anybody else has reviewed it*.

/Zimoon

PS: I do not think the guy that invented the paper clip had high thoughts of the idea, it was one of those very small but brilliant ideas. Very much like what maninspace suggested in http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... 533#p14533 a small but brilliant idea :D

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Actually the reason I thought of this idea was that I was trying to look up Enzyme Centrifuge at the bazaar, searching for it gave page after page with Enzyme Centrifuge Motor, Enzyme Centrifuge Separation Filter, Enzyme Centrifuge Separation Mixture etc. I was then trying to browse the bazaar but had no idea where to look and finally gave up (server was coming down). Sometimes schematics arent logical either, like the Armour coloring kit that use armoursmith experimentation but a General Crafting Tool (took me loong time to find that one out, my AS didnt even own such a tool lol).

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Swedishoyster wrote:Actually the reason I thought of this idea was that I was trying to look up Enzyme Centrifuge at the bazaar, searching for it gave page after page with Enzyme Centrifuge Motor, Enzyme Centrifuge Separation Filter, Enzyme Centrifuge Separation Mixture etc. I was then trying to browse the bazaar but had no idea where to look and finally gave up (server was coming down). Sometimes schematics arent logical either, like the Armour coloring kit that use armoursmith experimentation but a General Crafting Tool (took me loong time to find that one out, my AS didnt even own such a tool lol).
Sounds like I should throw in a Search feature: find text "abcdef" in a schematics name, no matter where. Right?

Will do :D