How's SWG?

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

How's SWG?

Post by Tyfo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:55 pm

Is it becoming nearer the thing it once was?
How's the population? Increasing? Declining?
How's crafting? Entertainers?

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Re: How's SWG?

Post by thegreywolfe » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:39 pm

Tyfo wrote:Is it becoming nearer the thing it once was?
SWG will never be what it once was, however, I must say that each publish now brings the game along nicely. It is fun to play right now and for the most part is a fairly good game now, in spite of all of the content being level 90.

The population as far as I can tell is slowly growing.

Crafting is still off, and it's questionable as to whether it will ever be as great as it once was.

Entertainers you'll have to check with someone else on.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:22 am

If pre-NGE is what you want it to you'll be disappointed, it won't happen. However, if you give it a chance with an open mind you will probably like it. But I am not inside your head ;)

Population steadily increasing on many galaxies but some are almost desolate I am told.

Crafting, hmm, I haven't sold this much in many months but I haven't seen any direct pattern. My clearance sales vendor sells quite nice, the others steadily but not amazing.

Some friends and I discussed loot drop yesterday and we strongly believe that the max on looted weapons is nuked making it for Munitions.

At least I have fun both crafting and fighting, but that's me :D

/Z

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:24 am

thegreywolfe wrote:
Tyfo wrote:Is it becoming nearer the thing it once was?
SWG will never be what it once was, however, I must say that each publish now brings the game along nicely. It is fun to play right now and for the most part is a fairly good game now, in spite of all of the content being level 90.

The population as far as I can tell is slowly growing.

Crafting is still off, and it's questionable as to whether it will ever be as great as it once was.

Entertainers you'll have to check with someone else on.
Why is it fun to play? (The problem I had last time I tried to play, was that I couldn't find anything to do, nor anyone to play with). What end-game content is there?

How's crafting different from pre-NGE/CURB?

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:17 am

The main reason I'm playing at the moment is because I'm in a very active guild and we go off to do heroics, corvette and other group stuff. I dropped tailor with Kel to be a combat dancer and I'm loving it :)

I'm also loving the collections, I was already a bit of a pack-rat, now I'm a lot worse!
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
SWG Cover Girl September 2008
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 am

Yes, I play my Traders of habit, once a crafter always a crafter. Some may call me nerd or single minded in this respect and then I respond: "A proud nerd then!" :)

Then I loot a lot for them, RE loot from all over the galaxy, Chu-Gon Dar loot at Mustafar, and the Collections added quite some reason to loot everything from CL1 to CL90+ for those rarities :D

I think that when SOE added the Collections they did the right thing. No, is isn't new or super exciting but it adds a reason to continue playing and having quite some fun, both solo or grouped.

All games become gloomy after a while, I still think SWG has managed to revive itself. Being in a nice guild helps of course :D

/Zimoon

PS: BTW, it seems as junk loot is more back to what it once was, some NPCs drop more of certain loot than others do. Hence you will notice some camping again, but not yet overly bad.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:57 am

Heroics? Combat dancer? What are these?

I plan to come back, atleast for a while, after taking a break from WoW next month. As previously said, last time I tried to return, I was really really bored, as I had no guideline to follow at all. Are crafted things still obsolete?

(Anyone know how EU-Farstar is?)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Tyfo wrote:Heroics? Combat dancer? What are these?
Heriocs == Hard Quests that must be done grouped, you won't survive long enough to take the first guys :twisted:
Some are in instances which now allows dead/revived players reentrance.

Combat Dancer == Way back when they gave Expertize to Entertainers they gave a two way choice, become a Drama queen, out in the field for combat buffing with some combat skills, or Artiste, which gives the full buffing palette. You'd rather see a expertize calculator for Entertainers, there is a link in my Beginners Guide for Traders, far down.

I plan to come back, atleast for a while, after taking a break from WoW next month. As previously said, last time I tried to return, I was really really bored, as I had no guideline to follow at all. Are crafted things still obsolete?
No, but it is not as it used to be. Some new players haven't really learned how vast SWG is yet and do not use all of the things which are just waiting for them. Others falsely believe only looted stuff exists or counts as best, but that has changed slowly.

I guess I am not the right person to ask as I am always prejudiced :P

(Anyone know how EU-Farstar is?)
Pass
Reddish

/Zimoon

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Has crafting (and making things unique) changed? Ie. is their only one thing to experiment on, on most things now? Have they simplified it? (The crafting system and entertainers in SWG is the thing that draws me in, if I were to make a MMORPG, it would probably include the best of WoW and SWG, and other games too:

- Complex crafting system with unique item stats - maybe even unique items, items that will only be crafted once.
- Many and complex professions (with skillpoint placement ala pre-NGE), with expertise implemented. Maybe you'd get a bonus for staying a certain profession for a longer time, but nothing big.
- No or high limit to how many characters you could make per server.
- Many instanced dungeons, ships, so forth, lots of "world bosses", NO instanced PvP, but a lot of incentive to PvP at certain location.
- Craftables should be able to be superior to most lootables (except a few items) and/or be able to enhance looted items.
- Jedi should be reachable, but it should be very hard, and there should be an incentive to stay AWAY from the larger cities.
- Support for many players at once, ie. cities, battlefields.
- Many random events.
- And so on ...

Yes, I'm dreaming. xd

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:18 pm

What I think SWG is missing is more the "spirit" of Star Wars ie. I think there ought to be a hidden Jedi Temple somewhere where only Jedi characters can go (ostensibly hiding from the Empire) and do quests that are actual Jedi training rather than the same grinding that combat characters do for Jabba. There should also be light side and dark side points. And of course a lot more interaction with the famous NPCs from the movies.