I miss SWG

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Warmaster
Novice Crafter

I miss SWG

Post by Warmaster » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am

Hey all, so I have been in World of Warcraft for some time now since I got back to my home in Malaysia, while of course I (and perhaps everyone else) wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic next year.

I have been away from SWG for a little over a year. Being an SW fan, I miss the game. :(

Is it more quieter in game now? Which are the busy servers? I used to be on Corbantis.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: I miss SWG

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:30 am

Warmaster wrote:Hey all, so I have been in World of Warcraft for some time now since I got back to my home in Malaysia, while of course I (and perhaps everyone else) wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic next year.

I have been away from SWG for a little over a year. Being an SW fan, I miss the game. :(

Is it more quieter in game now? Which are the busy servers? I used to be on Corbantis.
I imagine it is a quieter game now on the transfer from servers but for the transfer to servers things have picked up noticeably.

I would suggest that the most populous servers currently are Bria, Bloodfin, Starsider and maybe Flurry.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Welcome here WM :D

Quiet? Not on Chimaera anyway :P

/Zimoon

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:41 am

Warmaster wrote:Hey all, so I have been in World of Warcraft for some time now since I got back to my home in Malaysia, while of course I (and perhaps everyone else) wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic next year.

I've been away from SWG for nearly four years, and I still miss it.

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Zbignew » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Warmaster wrote:I have been away from SWG for a little over a year. Being an SW fan, I miss the game. :(
Tyfo wrote:[I've been away from SWG for nearly four years, and I still miss it.
There is a cure for this you know :mrgreen:
And action on Flurry has increased markedly since the transfers.
Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Zbignew wrote:
Warmaster wrote:I have been away from SWG for a little over a year. Being an SW fan, I miss the game. :(
Tyfo wrote:[I've been away from SWG for nearly four years, and I still miss it.
There is a cure for this you know :mrgreen:
And action on Flurry has increased markedly since the transfers.
Zbig
I've tried returning more than once, and the current iteration of SWG is merely a shadow of it's former self. :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 pm

I read what you say, T, but most "oldies" that play today also say that SWG today is so different from what you played years ago that you cannot compare it but should try it out for what it is today, without prejudices or letting your experience be shadowed of "ol' mem'ries".

Simply put, SWG as it was pre-CU was not as great as we most often want to remember it to be. I was there then and I was not overly happy with everything, having memories of the queues in front of Doctors at C'net SP just to be able to equip your armor, etc., etc.

With the risk of bringing up a hot topic I hated the decay as it was, maybe that was since my very first Scythe was "repaired" down to 60% from a very unlucky try, in spite of a 99.9+% repair tool and a MWS under the best of environment; randomness played us ugly tricks at times :(

There are many, many bad things from back then that are now extinct.

One topic that often is brought up is that the pick-and-choose your template is gone. But I remember the whining from back then about those über templates that were the flavor-of-the-month. All of it stemmed from the fact that managing/balancing the hundreds (thousands?) of combinations people could come up with was a nightmare for the Devs. Adding a new ability was almost impossible and just led to weeks and months of tuning and the crowd followed the FOTM while others whined when they became inferior and did not want to change template for one reason or another.

Our memory most often play us ugly tricks and we want to remember things as more shiny than they actually were. And the Force knows, it was not as awesome as some people say.

That said, today's SWG is not perfect and I guess it will never become. But to be honest, no game is. When some games excel at in some ways they fail in other areas. WoW may have far better instances than SWG will have in years to come, but crafting sucks. SWG may have the sandbox model allowing us housing, cities, events, etc., but has a more awkward UI and not-so-modern graphics (even though WoW does not have swaying grass, frogs, etc.).

In other words, try out SWG for what it is today, not for what you fool yourself into thinking it once was, your memory most probably plays games with you ;)
And try it out for what it is today, not for what you hope it will be six months ahead. We don't know what the Devs will come up with, do we?

Nostalgic memories is one thing, I cherish mine, but letting those hinder today's life or play that is another animal.

/Zimoon

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:40 pm

I miss SWG too, and I still play it.

I tend to agree with Zimoon, that the game itself back in Days Of Yore wasn't as rosy as we'd like to think.

But if I had to compare my actual experiences, those days can't be topped. That first year of SWG, as poor as the mechanics were, was the best time I've ever had in an MMO in almost twelve years, with the first year of UO being a close second. The excitement of people fresh to a game, with new toys to try out, all the freedom of choice that comes with a persistent world, and the promise of good things to come, not to mention, OMGSTARWARS!... before the cynicism and loss and disgruntlement... was wonderful.

It's a different game and a different experience now. Perhaps even more mature, and that has some advantages too.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

agida
Apprentice Crafter

Post by agida » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Zimoon wrote:I read what you say, T, but most "oldies" that play today also say that SWG today is so different from what you played years ago that you cannot compare it but should try it out for what it is today, without prejudices or letting your experience be shadowed of "ol' mem'ries".

Simply put, SWG as it was pre-CU was not as great as we most often want to remember it to be. I was there then and I was not overly happy with everything, having memories of the queues in front of Doctors at C'net SP just to be able to equip your armor, etc., etc.

With the risk of bringing up a hot topic I hated the decay as it was, maybe that was since my very first Scythe was "repaired" down to 60% from a very unlucky try, in spite of a 99.9+% repair tool and a MWS under the best of environment; randomness played us ugly tricks at times :(

There are many, many bad things from back then that are now extinct.

One topic that often is brought up is that the pick-and-choose your template is gone. But I remember the whining from back then about those über templates that were the flavor-of-the-month. All of it stemmed from the fact that managing/balancing the hundreds (thousands?) of combinations people could come up with was a nightmare for the Devs. Adding a new ability was almost impossible and just led to weeks and months of tuning and the crowd followed the FOTM while others whined when they became inferior and did not want to change template for one reason or another.

Our memory most often play us ugly tricks and we want to remember things as more shiny than they actually were. And the Force knows, it was not as awesome as some people say.

That said, today's SWG is not perfect and I guess it will never become. But to be honest, no game is. When some games excel at in some ways they fail in other areas. WoW may have far better instances than SWG will have in years to come, but crafting sucks. SWG may have the sandbox model allowing us housing, cities, events, etc., but has a more awkward UI and not-so-modern graphics (even though WoW does not have swaying grass, frogs, etc.).

In other words, try out SWG for what it is today, not for what you fool yourself into thinking it once was, your memory most probably plays games with you ;)
And try it out for what it is today, not for what you hope it will be six months ahead. We don't know what the Devs will come up with, do we?

Nostalgic memories is one thing, I cherish mine, but letting those hinder today's life or play that is another animal.

/Zimoon
If you want to see the old SWG try this link http://truegalaxies.com/ I started trying it today and having to figure out again how to get points to master Scout, then Ranger and CH again. They have a bluefrog (Gungun Trader) which helps the initial setup. Will be interesting to play as time allows and they debug all the issues of simulating the old SWG.
Agida - Rebel Ace - Master Shipwright - Flurry
Shop near Nashal /wp 4636 4459
http://www.swg-piloten.com/html/agida_s ... _shop.html

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:05 pm

I highly doubt that the EMU servers will be able to bring back the feeling the old game gave me; they lack the community (And will probably have a lot of abuse seeing that they are free to play and that you can just change to another server if one server does perma-ban you), they lack updates (Hey, I like updates, new content etc.) and finally, SWG was my first real MMORPG and I will probably never feel the same way about a MMORPG again (Why would I start helping with the development of a SWG fan site 1,5 years after I quit and still be doing it 2 years later if I did not like SWG? :P)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:57 pm

agida wrote:...
If you want to see the old SWG try this link http://truegalaxies.com/ I started trying it today and having to figure out again how to get points to master Scout, then Ranger and CH again. They have a bluefrog (Gungun Trader) which helps the initial setup. Will be interesting to play as time allows and they debug all the issues of simulating the old SWG.
Scout, go craft yourself a camp, sit in it for hours and yell for company to get some extra XP. That was what did in 2004. Fun? Not at all, and I already was patient 8)

/Zimoon

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Zbignew » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:43 pm

I agree that the current game and Pre-CU are 2 completely different animals. I stayed away a year after the NGE, and kept grumbling for a year after that. Once finally embraced, it's pretty good.
That said, I liked decay, it made for a control for the economy. Todays prices have become absurd due to the ease of obtaining credits and no natural offset. It also fostered more interdependence, you were a regular customer for weapons, armor, repairs, buffs, heals, etc.
I don't miss the lag in Coronet that would make your escape from the Starport an ordeal, the game works much better. I miss the community of the cantinas and med centers. I do like having transports and spaceships. It is what it is, still better for me than other MMO's, so here I be.

Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tech Twin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:15 am

I agree with much of what the old timers are saying. The first year of SWG was unmatched and will probably remain so. But I think it was more the community and the OMGSTARWARS! factor than the actual game mechanics. I mean it took how long to removed the "sliding across the cantina after sitting on a chair bug"?

Even with the current bugs the game is decent, the crafting is still phenomenal, and the community is better than most games out there.

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 am

You know I have thought about it and I think people over rate the first year of the game, in my opinion it was released too soon and it was over complicated by the desire to make things "realistic" to the point that it became a job just to earn the credits to keep a house and harvesters going.

In fact as I recall I barely lasted the free month before I quit for about six months and when I came back the game was noticeably more user friendly with the addition of vehicles etc.

I then played through to just before the NGE and loved the game but I have to say that it still suffers from the same issue that keeps it from retaining players that it had from day one and that is the lack of relevant small group and solo content, since returning a year ago I have seen literally hundreds of players return to the game and then leave again after a few weeks because once they have leveled up to 90 they simply run out of engaging things to do.

If they would just do a mini-expansion similar to EQ1's Lost Dungeons of Norrath where they add a ton of quest lines and themeparks to the existing planets I am convinced the game could recover lost ground.

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:53 am

Well I had a similar experience, i basically left SWG for wow because my swg guild (Bounty Hunters Alliance) all left for wow, I had grown tired of how overpowered you became with doctor's buff, you could solo virtually anything as a buffed doc/swordsman while unbuffed anything that just looked at you was instant death.

When I started playing wow it felt so much better and the memories from SWG was only the poor ones, then after 3 years of wow I got this 14 day play for free from swg and it was like coming home. Now I feel like I wasted 3 years in wow and the more I learn the more I grow to love swg, the complexity of crafting, while annoying sometimes (see my other current posts lol) is the best I've seen in any game, ever.

Also, the maturity and helpfulness of the swg community after 3 years in wow shall NOT be underestimated.
It's so refreshing to not be the oldest in the guild anymore :-)

I had a point with this post when i started to type... oh well.
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE