Chimaera - ISD Updaters Needed / Resource Updater Discussion

Discuss galaxy specific issues.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Vanoun
Novice Crafter

Chimaera - ISD Updaters Needed / Resource Updater Discussion

Post by Vanoun » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Chimaera is in need of a few more regular Resource Updaters willing to use ISD Droids and SWGAide. Currently it's mostly myself and Zimoon keeping the Chimaera resources updated. We could use a few more regulars to lessen the workload.

If you don't know how to do it, here's a simple guide.

1. Install SWGAide, and set it up with your SWGCraft username.

2. Get some ISD Droids (I prefer to get mine in stacks of 10, since there are 10 planets)

3. Get/craft a few crates of survey tools. You'll need quite a few. These are the most commonly updated categories

Minerals
Chemicals
Gas
Geothermal Energy
Flora
Water

But what about Solar and Wind Energy? Well, as everyone know, these can't be sampled and in order to get the stats, you need to drop harvesters and let them run a bit in order to get the resource and see the stats. In my opinion that's too much work and almost everyone fuels their harvies with Radioactives anyway. (Or maybe Geo if you're more eco-friendly)

4. Launch the ISD Droids with your chosen survey tools, one droid with a survey tool for each of the 10 planets.

5. When you've recived the droid's report in the mail, do a /mailsave

6. Start SWGAide's and check the ISD folder of your saved mails, it will divide the information from the droids into four categories
  • Known at Galaxy, New at Planet (This resource is reported in the database, but not with all the avalible locations)
  • Depleted Resources (This resource has despawned and will be marked so in the database)
  • New Resource at Galaxy & Planet (This resource is new and doesn't have any resource data yet)
  • Resources Without Stats (This resource has been reported without stats, it happens)
7. Hit the button marked "Write to Res.txt" to generate a list of all the resources that need data.

8. To get that data you have two options (that I know of at least)
  • Go around manually sampling all the resources and writing down their stats in the res.txt as you go (a bit of work, depending on many needs updating)
  • Use a Resource Crate to "look up" the spawn and write down the stats in the res.txt
OR if for whatever reason you're so inclined, jump directly to step 9 to send the spawn data without stats

9. With your res.txt fully filled out and saved, you return to the ISD folder of SWGAide and hit the button marked "Subit 1&2", this will update the locations and mark depleted resources as such.

10. Now hit the "Submit 3&4" button to start sending your newly collected resource data to the SWGcraft database

Assuming no errors occured, Congratulations! You've made an ISD Update!

Also, this thread can be used to discuss and come to agreements on what to update between interested updaters.
Last edited by Vanoun on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Chimaera - ISD Updaters Needed / Resource Updater Discussion

Post by Zimoon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:11 am

Vanoun has done a great job here, not only to update the database regularly but also to write the summary on how to do it :D

On the updating
I have done the creature resources for quite some time, almost a daily habit, to serve my chef who is a bit sleepy at the moment. Malane has helped out during the several months I dived to deep into coding on the new SWGAide, thanks a lot. However, I will not be able to do also the Inorganic every day.

If we are just a few more, doing just one day a week is a great contribution. Nobody must feel they must do it every day. On the other hand, some coordination would help us not wasting droids and survey tools plus it will reduce the frustration when somebody beat us with a few minutes, it is no race, is it?

Suggestions in order:
  1. In-game friends list for us who do it regularly, then we can ask if it is then air we don't waste a full set of droids.
  2. Communication between us that do it regularly, here at SWGCraft. This forum is OK and easier to read from anywhere.
  3. Those that can, tell the day or days you are doing and a time --- if not done that time anybody can do them.
  4. If droids is a problem, who can provide them at self cost? Survey tools are easy and cheap to manufacture, 27000 recycled metal gives 1000 devices, anybody do that himself.

On the instructions, Vanoun.
The user can submit lists 1 & 2 right away, no need to wait until after updating the notes file.
The user is not forced to add stats, submitting new resources as-is is a great contribution in itself. Or adding just to some of the resources is also OK. The reasons are read in No stats vs. with stats. Perhaps spell that out not to scare away the player :) Great summary though, appreciate it.

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:18 am

So, these are my most played toons, in order of importance for this subject:
So'ma, Zimzan, Zimoon, Vaishya. Feel free to add them to your friends list. If I am busy I am not too chatty but I will respond to important questions regarding ISDroids :D

I play GMT+1 = CET = Paris time, and most often later in the evening. If I do not see SWGCraft updated at 8 or 9 my time I consider that late and I may update. I have no fix days when I can or cannot.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:02 pm

A short note about today, Sunday Nov 22, and some days ahead. I am doing the final tests on ISDroids until the new test-version of SWGAide is out. I do them on Flora, Chem, Mineral, and Gas. To give me something to work and debug with, would you mind ... :)

Belisama
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Belisama » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Zimoon wrote:
  1. In-game friends list for us who do it regularly, then we can ask if it is then air we don't waste a full set of droids.
  2. Communication between us that do it regularly, here at SWGCraft. This forum is OK and easier to read from anywhere.
  3. Those that can, tell the day or days you are doing and a time --- if not done that time anybody can do them.
There are professions channels - like Trader. If trader is not used by anyone else: that's the perfect place to talk about stuff like this. Everybody who update SWGCraft on a regular base could join and watch that chat channel. :)

(Hint from another galaxy)

Best
Bel
Your domestic trader at Starsider TOG Mall: Tat WP -5101 -3308
You have resource for sale ? Check the TOG Holonet Channel for my offer
In Memoriam for all BE

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Belisama wrote:
Zimoon wrote:
There are professions channels - like Trader. If trader is not used by anyone else: that's the perfect place to talk about stuff like this. Everybody who update SWGCraft on a regular base could join and watch that chat channel. :)

(Hint from another galaxy)

Best
Bel
sdkfjh sdlkf sdlkf s dkflksfdfjf sdjfojfjijrojftjf jf34jf0jf9583 95fs95d95l95k95c nb95d95s95o95i95f95j95
this channel is jammed ............... nono, now I hear her perfectly. Aaaah, good advice Beli, thanks, Roger out!!! CLICK

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:13 am

I fired a thread at the official SOE.Chimaera forum and some guys seem willing to contribute a little more with ISDroids. We have always seen a lot of submissions of one, two, or a few more resources, this is great, but it does not really cover 100% so that we can be sure no harvesters are idling and that we catch that spawn of a rare resource class, not in the same way as ISDroids for all 10 core planets do.

In that thread I posted:
Zimoon wrote:What I will do is the following:

I will pop the names of those who seems to update SWGCraft with ISDroids, hopefully I can find their in-game name from their forum description or something.

When I am about to send out a set of droids I will mail the names I have gathered. I will include the names in the mail so others can copy & paste when they do the same.

This will kind of mimic a mailing list, sad that doesn't exist in-game outside guild or citizens.

In-game it is my DE named So'ma that does the ISDroids. But I use whatever toon I log in on who has a 30k resource deed for the creature resources, which I will continue do on a daily basis, kind of a relaxing habit :)

The reason I do not do ISDroids every day is that I rather spend that time on coding SWGAide. It is now stable enough to replace the old version. The features I had deferred until later are now re-enabled. There will be a new version up in a few days, just some polishing but no dangling threads or aliens or gremlins in sight ;)
So, Chimmies,
  • update your forum details so I can read your in-game name to send mails to, or
  • post the name(s) here so I and others can pick them up
  • mail me and others in-game when you are about to send out ISDroids, and then
    • tell which resource category you are updating
    • include all recipients in the mail, each separated with a semi-colon ; so it is easy for anybody to copy and paste the next time
This way I guess we won't stomp each others' toes that often ;)

Keep up the good work fellows

/Zimoon

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Nelon :)

Vanoun
Novice Crafter

Post by Vanoun » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Good idea about an OF thread, it seem to have alerted a few more people.

I'm currently not logging in often enough (kinda contemplating freezing the accounts to be honest) to be able to contribute in any meaningfull way. I hope enough coverage can be found to keep going. This site and it's resource data is VITAL for crafters.

Zedd
Novice Crafter

Re: Chimaera - ISD Updaters Needed / Resource Updater Discus

Post by Zedd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Back in game a short while, planning (hoping) to make some credits by selling resources.

Nice write-up on the process of how to use ISDroids, i think i can spare some time to throw a few round the galaxy on a regular basis :P

Only recently downloaded SWGAide, kinda prefer JnF's atm until i get used to SWGAide.

Also offering my services as a trader, i harvest named resource, we split 75/25 and you pay a reduced price for the 75%. If anyones interested shoot me a PM :P

-Zedd-
-Zedd- Jedi
-ObblivioN- Munitions Trader
-Macabre- Domestics Trader

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 pm

I will send a message to the updaters and tell them to add you to the list Zedd, I will then send you the list.

Zedd
Novice Crafter

Post by Zedd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Updated Sig here to reflect my in-game characters :P
-Zedd- Jedi
-ObblivioN- Munitions Trader
-Macabre- Domestics Trader