Pex leaving SWG

Comments on the latest news about crafting and Star Wars Galaxies.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Pex leaving SWG

Post by Sobuno » Fri May 02, 2008 7:41 pm

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=656160
Greetings, all!

The time has come to let everyone know that I'll be leaving the SWG team and heading across genres to become the Community Manager for our upcoming title Free Realms. There is definitely a bitter-sweet sensation to moving to a new title. I'll miss the people I have met and interacted with. I'll also miss the events themselves and the fun discussions leading up to them. I'll miss talking about schemes and plots and super-weapons and attacks and kidnappings and weddings and...you get the idea.

I know, I know. "How can you leave Star Wars for something...not Star Wars?" The decision to leave wasn't easy. I've been with SWG for almost five years now. I've lived and breathed Vader and the Rebellion and all the storylines ever run by. I've had a blast and I have never ceased to be amazed by the creativity and dedication I have encountered.

The opportunity to work on Free Realms is just too tempting so I applied for the position and got it. I'm ready for new adventures, even if they don't involve Ewoks, Stormtrooopers or holograms of the Emperor. I've always taken my job and the events I help support very personally and I am very proud of the work I have done. I hope that level of commitment has come across to those with whom I have interacted during my tenure on SWG.

The big question has certainly got to be "What about Event Support?" Currently there is no plan to continue player-run event support. The Dev Team will continue to upgrade and add to Storyteller, which already allows you to execute many of the abilities that I have provided in the past. Actually, it has a lot more functionality than I had for the first year or two of running event support. Granted, there will no longer be someone to show up to a player event as Leia or Darth Vader, or to officiate a wedding or decorate the inside of the Theed palace...so that will take some getting used to. The Dev team has been wonderful and very supportive of Storyteller and in-game holidays, so I look forward to more support for those aspects of the game in the years to come.

I am buoyed by the fact that Storyteller is getting bigger and better at putting event ‘control' in your hands, so player events will get bigger and better too, even if I am on another title. The options that are open to you really are extraordinary and quite unprecedented in any MMO of this type. I know this will take some getting used to and will lead to more and more creativity when using the Storyteller system.

I'll be making the transition over the next month and will be full time on Free Realms by the end of May or early June. I don't have all the details yet, but I will let you know as soon as I have them.

Thank you all for your continued enthusiasm and support. I will always look back on my time with SWG as a wonderful time spent interacting with great people.

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Pex leaving SWG

Post by Tyfo » Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 am

Sad to see someone like Pex go. He/she seemed like of one of the sane people of the DEVSQUAD!

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Wed May 14, 2008 7:39 am

It is a sad time for SWG, Pex will be missed greatly by many :(
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
SWG Cover Girl September 2008
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Pex is taking a trip to some servers today and tomorrow to say goodbye: http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=677395

I am planning on attending the one on Farstar tonight (If anyone would like to meet the character named Sobuno :P)

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Okay, we delayed him a bit on Farstar because he had trouble logging in. He reported that 354 people were in the area of the festivities :D, Chimaera still surpassed us by having 392 people. And then, he finally showed up as a giant human :P
Attachments
screenShot0016.jpg
Woah!
screenShot0016.jpg (810.37 KiB) Viewed 8258 times
screenShot0015.jpg
Screenshot with all details enabled.... and FPS approaching 1
screenShot0015.jpg (720.99 KiB) Viewed 8257 times
screenShot0000.jpg
Almost an hour before he arrived!
screenShot0000.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 8253 times
screenShot0030.jpg
screenShot0030.jpg (818.68 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
screenShot0043.jpg
Pex the Giant!
screenShot0043.jpg (734.44 KiB) Viewed 8245 times

busymalla
Novice Crafter

Post by busymalla » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:35 am

I also attended one of these bashes on Bria last night, held in the player city of Da'Vinci-388 people attended it and I got all 6 CSR badges. :)
screenShot0002.jpg
screenShot0003.jpg

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:50 am

I don't have a screenie but go look at http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... 39#7379332 for multiple screenies from Gorath.

The hosts there had put together an avenue of torches several 100 meters long welcoming us to a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge labyrinth, almost impossible to navigate through (lucky is the walls are not solid), into the inner court which the screenies gives a fair picture of, it was enormous.

The amount of work loaded into that storyteller blueprint was simply put: amazing. My deep respect and thanks to those guys.

Let us see if today's party will hold the same high standard :)

/Zimoon

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Wow. Pex wasn't that tall when he visited Infinity last night :D
Does really show how quiet Infinity is compared to the other Euro servers, we had 154 people at our event last night. Hopefully there will be a bigger turnout tonight but I'm unable to attend it.
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
SWG Cover Girl September 2008
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Okay, went to another one on Farstar, didn't quite catch the number of players this time around. We had a quiz though! :P

On another note, it seems the max outstanding fine you can have with the Empire is one million credits
Attachments
screenShot0086.jpg
Sobuno Coleta!
screenShot0086.jpg (636.77 KiB) Viewed 8164 times
screenShot0085.jpg
And a Zabrak blocking my view!
screenShot0085.jpg (494.02 KiB) Viewed 8164 times
screenShot0070.jpg
Quiz Night!
screenShot0070.jpg (574.08 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
screenShot0059.jpg
Pex the Hutt
screenShot0059.jpg (588.04 KiB) Viewed 8158 times

Bangalore007
Novice Crafter

Post by Bangalore007 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:42 pm

No screenie but when Pex showed on Vaclyn, he had the giant humanoid body with a Marvin The Martian (Warner Brothers cartoon character) head. Very surreal and very funny. Hate to see his devotion and imagination replaced by a "system" - regardless how good.
"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours." - Yogi Berra