Resource Viewing

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:59 am

Zimoon wrote:Another day and this thread has grown quickly :)

The mark seen can either be a mark-them-all button. Buttons for this purpose are seldom really user friendly as they require an action.

It could rather be something such as new since 1 (6/12/24 ?) hours ago, sliding window. Or better, since of the previous time the user logged in, which requires the engine to keep the previous login time during the session.

That would of course make the new resources marked as new all that time during a session, whether seen or not. That is inevitable unless somebody fancy implementing the huge db to keep seen/unseen resources ;)

/Z
It's currently based on phpBB's user_lastvisit field in the users table (I think...)

But yeah, come to think of it, it would take quite a bit of time to make an advanced edition that tracks which pages you have been to and marks resources according to it

Milla
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Milla » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:51 am

A few things:
  • I know I read somewhere about the troubles with coding custom skin support for the site but right now the 'dark colored characters on a light colored background' is not the most eye-friendly color scheme (I'm using a 'gaming' TFT monitor and believe me, it IS an ordeal due to its vivid and bright color display). Would it be possible to add at least an alternative 'dark background / bright characters' layout?

Again, I am a bit partial towards the layout of the old site, but the order 'Minerals, Chemicals, Gas, Water, Flora Resources, Creature Resources, Asteroid Resources' (+Geothermal Energy) worked fine and still works fine for me. Maybe, if and when you implement custom user settings, you could add a configuration option that determines the order in which the various resources sections are displayed on the site. Obviously a chef will prefer a layout where Flora Resources are the first section while an Armorsmith will opt for an order that starts with the Minerals section.

When the resource usage section is finally complete, you may want to add a "Find resources by profession" option to the 'Find resources' feature so that e.g. a Weaponsmith may look up all currently available resources that are used in WS schematics.
Just a couple of ideas, of course I understand that some of these ideas would require a significant time investment.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:14 am

Milla wrote:A few things:
  • I know I read somewhere about the troubles with coding custom skin support for the site but right now the 'dark colored characters on a light colored background' is not the most eye-friendly color scheme (I'm using a 'gaming' TFT monitor and believe me, it IS an ordeal due to its vivid and bright color display). Would it be possible to add at least an alternative 'dark background / bright characters' layout?

Again, I am a bit partial towards the layout of the old site, but the order 'Minerals, Chemicals, Gas, Water, Flora Resources, Creature Resources, Asteroid Resources' (+Geothermal Energy) worked fine and still works fine for me. Maybe, if and when you implement custom user settings, you could add a configuration option that determines the order in which the various resources sections are displayed on the site. Obviously a chef will prefer a layout where Flora Resources are the first section while an Armorsmith will opt for an order that starts with the Minerals section.

When the resource usage section is finally complete, you may want to add a "Find resources by profession" option to the 'Find resources' feature so that e.g. a Weaponsmith may look up all currently available resources that are used in WS schematics.
Just a couple of ideas, of course I understand that some of these ideas would require a significant time investment.
I actually remember adding the correct ordering of the resources (So that they would be in the same order as the survey thingies list them ingame), but it must have gotten broken somewhere down the road

Holden
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Holden » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:08 am

Zimoon wrote:Personally I would prefer this coloring since they stand out the better from the dark text:
Amazing = RED = 90%+
Good = ORANGE = 75 - 89% (actually RGB=ff7700)
I'm necroposting slightly, but had a thought that tied directly to this: Why not extend the orange to 96% and have the red for 96.1% and higher? That way the resources in red are the ones that can be capped with the 4% expertise resource buff.

Or, alternately, add a third color. Maybe BLUE or GREEN for 75-89, ORANGE for 90-96, and RED for 96.1 and up? (I briefly considered yellow but it doesn't contrast well on a white background.)

But either way, I think special emphasis on the 96.1%+ resources would be useful.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 pm

Holden wrote:
Zimoon wrote:Personally I would prefer this coloring since they stand out the better from the dark text:
Amazing = RED = 90%+
I'm necroposting slightly, but had a thought that tied directly to this: Why not extend the orange to 96% and have the red for 96.1% and higher? That way the resources in red are the ones that can be capped with the 4% expertise resource buff.

Or, alternately, add a third color. Maybe BLUE or GREEN for 75-89, ORANGE for 90-96, and RED for 96.1 and up? (I briefly considered yellow but it doesn't contrast well on a white background.)

But either way, I think special emphasis on the 96.1%+ resources would be useful.
Added, also showing one decimal now (as in 96.1, not just 96)

Holden
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Holden » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:59 pm

Sobuno wrote: Added, also showing one decimal now (as in 96.1, not just 96)
Brilliant! Thanks!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:01 pm

Sobuno wrote:
Holden wrote:
Amazing = RED = 90%+

Added, also showing one decimal now (as in 96.1, not just 96)
Isn't the correct value for bumping great resources up tp 1000 with the 4% expertize skill 962?

961 * 1.04 = 999.44 -> 99.94% -> never 100%
962 * 1.04 = 1000.48 > 1000 >= 100%

/Zimoon

Holden
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Holden » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:31 am

Doh. Z is right. I was thinking >961 and writing >=961.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:19 am

Should be fixed now

Stobbart
Novice Crafter

Post by Stobbart » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:39 pm

How come the current: Quasiat, Lokian Deciduous Wood has a SR of 765 and is also marked as 109.2%

Isn't the max 100% ? Maybe there is something I am not sure about with this resource stuff..
Last edited by Stobbart on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting up on TCPrime now.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:47 pm

Stobbart wrote:How come the current: Quasiat, Lokian Deciduous Wood has a SR of 765 and is also marked as 109.2&

Isn't the max 100% ? Maybe there is something I am not sure about with this resource stuff..
Max should be 100%, but we have decided against capping inputs at that cap for the time because our caps might not be entirely correct

As far as I can tell from the XML file, the cap of 700 should be correct. Anyone know if the resource mentioned is wrong?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:27 pm

Positive, the max SR on all Hard Wood, and on Wood for that part, is and will be 700. It has been 700 since Lunariel's Bible on Resource Caps were written and that has not changed. Soft Wood has SR capped at 400.

I have just set up my lab for another overhaul of the XML file to squash the final pieces of uncertainty.

/Zimoon

Milla
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Milla » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:09 pm

Maybe the percentage calculation would be better if it adjusted the theoretical cap limit when a percentage greater than 100 percent is encountered.

I do respect Lunariel's resource cap bible, however, the true test of any theory is practice.

Maybe such adjustments could be restricted to verified resources (hence the need for verification), otherwise incorrect stat value may wreak havoc on the cap calculations after a while.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:28 pm

Milla wrote:Maybe the percentage calculation would be better if it adjusted the theoretical cap limit when a percentage greater than 100 percent is encountered.

I do respect Lunariel's resource cap bible, however, the true test of any theory is practice.

Maybe such adjustments could be restricted to verified resources (hence the need for verification), otherwise incorrect stat value may wreak havoc on the cap calculations after a while.
That is what a number of old seasoned crafters have done over the years. When I got my first 30k Vet Resource Crate deed I eagerly set up a script that pulled out everything reported at the .com site that was outside the cap. None of the alarms were correct, the resources that triggered the alarm were all reported in error.

The fault percent was about 0.2%, mainly two digits that were shifted, as in 487 for 478, but also some stats shifted place as when SR went into UT and vice versa. Also the wrong resource class, I guess it was easy to select the adjacent class from the drop down list. All these three options were frequent.

Name spellings is not in the .2% sine they never ever triggered the script. Name errors are found when you later on want to add Leiawascute only to find that name is already in use. Looking up the resource type you find the name Laiawascute but wrongly entered into the database. Name errors are not much we can do about but having observant verifyers.

I have mentioned it elsewhere, the submission logic could handle this. The best way, in my opinion, is to warn the user about the stat being outside the cap. Should the cap be in error (which I 99.99% doubt it is) and the user state s/he still wants to submit the data, that could go into a special log of "enforced submissions" which can be checked up by other players.

On the other hand, seeing something outside the cap range could stir up some verifying from the one first noticing it and either confirm the cap is wrong, or rectify the erratic data.

However, there should be no "silent correction" of the data whatsoever. The main reason is that we do not know whether it is the digits of the stat that is in error, or if it is the stat types that are mixed up, or if the wrong resource class was entered. These three possibilities must all be checked up in manually by the verifier.

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:37 pm

You now need to verify resources you entered with stats above cap limit. No logging of it (Other than the usual) though

-Sobuno