Resources that do not "spawn" but viewable from 30k deeds

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

sh3rvin
Novice Crafter

Resources that do not "spawn" but viewable from 30k deeds

Post by sh3rvin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi,

I've noticed that majority of the planets do not spawn each type of creature resources. For an example Mustafar Avian Meat and Mustafar Avian Bones. There are other types such domesticated milk etc. Now my question. Should the stats for these both current and past be added to the database here? I did add some but was then told ingame its not really in spawn. I then marked them unavailable. Is this the correct procedure for this? and if it is preferred that these are unmarked would it be due to low stats or should the ones with near perfect stats stay incase a player would be willing to claim that res?

Many Thanks

*edited to include more questions lol

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Re: Resources that do not "spawn" but viewable from 30k deeds

Post by Tinsel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:07 am

* totally not official opinion follows *

It seems to be that posting them definitely does more good than harm, for those who might use the deeds to procure some of the resource, just as you noted. I would submit to those who told you to remove the resource, that the website is not merely a list of current resources, but a historical record as well.

But marking them "unavailable" is misleading to those updaters who diligently post Musty/Kash resources (they would be prompted to recheck and repost them constantly if they 'disappeared' from the list once marked unavailable). The "unavailable" status is more of a signifier of whether something is in shift, not whether there are mobs in the game that will provide the resource. (Incidentally, this is not unique to Musty and Kash, as there are some milks and so forth on other planets which are not technically harvest-able.)

I realize one could argue that posting it is also misleading, but that is the difference between misleading while being technically correct (keeping it available) and misleading while being technically incorrect (marking it unavailable).

There are plenty of guides around that list which particular resources are not currently obtainable through normal play. Perhaps some sort of color scheme or other coding-magic could be put in place on those particular resources to signal to readers that said resources are in shift but impossible to harvest?
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:42 am

Just my opinion too :D

Since we are talking about resources that are not harvestable, but can only be claimed by a 30k deed, I would say mark them as "unavailable". My thinking is that someone looking at the "Current Resources" page is looking for harvestable resources and will be confussed to see nonharvestable resources listed. It's not a big deal either way. If there is someone who's goal is to have every possible resource that is current, listed for their galaxie, including these nonharvestable ones, then far be it from me to say no.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:33 am

I am with Tinsel here, Sorry S.

It is misleading for those that updates them regularly, for players that does it occasionally it doesn't matter.

However, they are clearly marked as "foreign" both in the lists here at SWGCraft and in SWGAide so it shouldn't be a problem either way. I don't remember if it is color code or text at this site but in SWGAide they read at silver background. And it is possible to rule them out at the panel Submit Resources.

On another take, if a player adds them occasionally there is absolutely no point in doing that unless they have great stats, for some profession. And then add them as "old resource" if that is the case.

I am a fan of completeness but I am no fan of absurdities 8)

/Zimoon

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm with Savacc on this one. Sorry Z. 8)

It really isn't a big deal, although it can be a pain in the butt when going down the list and cross-checking creature resources.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:11 pm

I just want to clarify myself.

I know there are players that update this type of resources on almost a daily basis, while they are doing the common submissions. If they cannot read what resources "are in spawn" when doing the update, they must more or less submit the same resource every day until it is out of spawn. And then the next.
That is why I am against "mark them as unavailable" when they are "currently in spawn".
I am only the devil's lawyer on some other players behalf :twisted:

I am not updating these resources myself, I am no fan of synthetic stuff. But I realize their value for "less ethical" players 8)

So, in the end of the day, this is all about for who we should afford usability, is it not. These special "resources" are clearly marked at this site and in SWGAide, which makes them stand out. But there is nothing equal for players that update them. Rather come up with a solution that solves that issue. I am listening.

/Zimoon

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:48 pm

That's precisely what I meant Zimoon, though I was probably a bit more long-winded about it. >.> hehe. I don't update those resources personally either (I stick to ISDs), but I'd not like to discourage those who do, by making their jobs more annoying. Maybe you'd need to be an updater to see how annoying that would be?

I also wanted to clarify the meaning of "unavailable" (as it is used on the site) as "out of shift" not "functionally inaccessible due game flaws".

As for a solution, I continue to think that a color code flagging the resources would be sufficient. Make "Mustafar Avian Meat" show up in the resource list with red text. Define red text in a "color key" box at the bottom of the page. Or stick a little "warning" icon right before the text or somewhere in that line, that links to an explanation of why some resources are problematic. Or perhaps those resources could be set off as a separate class that viewers can filter out (in a tab that is closed by default). I'm no database monkey but I'd think the first two wouldn't be too hard?
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:47 pm

The last suggestion attracted my attention, have them listed separately :D

The information is already available, perhaps our awesome database hackers may come up with something.

Good, good. I love solutions over sobbing 8)

/Zimoon

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:29 am

Perhaps an option to turn off resources that are not naturally occuring in game.

Since they are already tagged as such, would it be difficult to not display them as an option? Then they could be updated and displayed by those that are interested in such things.

If possible, it could even be taken a step further by allowing people to choose the resources they want displayed, or not displayed.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 pm

Changed
This resource can only be obtained by using a Veteran Reward Resource Crate
to
ImageThis resource can only be obtained by using a Veteran Reward Resource Crate
Also added an option (http://www.swgcraft.org/dev/options.php#page_tab) to show or hide non-harvestable resources.

The other suggestions, while good, would take way more coding to do (The current resources page really is a mess :P)

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Sobuno wrote:Also added an option (http://www.swgcraft.org/dev/options.php#page_tab) to show or hide non-harvestable resources.
Thank you, but there seems to be a bug. With this option set to "Off", I get an error message:
An error has occured and has been logged.
Switching it back to "On", and everything works again.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Hmm, is this still happening?

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:34 pm

Sobuno wrote:Hmm, is this still happening?
Yes sir. Tried it with IE, and the in game browser. Same issue.

Tested on Shadowfire, which had no qualifying resources. So I added Mustafarian Domestic Milk and tried again. Same error.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:57 pm

I've fixed one bug regarding it now, but your bug looks a bit different... Still happening now?

Bala
Resource Co-Ordinator

Post by Bala » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Sobuno wrote:I've fixed one bug regarding it now, but your bug looks a bit different... Still happening now?
Yes and no.

Still the error, but now it is proceeded by a load of code. Rather than flood this thread, I've copied it into the text file for you to examine.

This was done on a different computer (both Windows XP), still using IE8. Same results using Opera.
Attachments
error.txt
(41.26 KiB) Downloaded 333 times