per server schematics?

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the schematics.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

solarisjedi
Developer

per server schematics?

Post by solarisjedi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:11 pm

I keep forgetting to ask this...

With us now having so many different servers, and many of them are now putting their own variants of schematics in game, how feasible is it for craft to have server based schematics... eg they have/start with the same vanilla set with ability to add/modify for that server only? or maybe this is already an option and I just don't know about it.

Thanks!
---
Mr-Miagi
Maintainer of SWGAide-NGE

Smed
Novice Crafter

Re: per server schematics?

Post by Smed » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 pm

I'm interested in this too. Would love to know if it's possible.

krtz_bria
Novice Crafter

Post by krtz_bria » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:11 pm

I'd like to know as well, to get some of the SW schemes that were added after the NGE

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:14 am

Sobuno was working on this, but a couple months ago he informed me that RL was getting to him and he had no time for this site anymore. I would have to look at some stuff he PMed me and see if it is finished enough that I could get some of it going.

Maybe Slyvampy can give you a better answer.

Since I didn't approve your posts today (I'm talking about Smed and kerz_bria) I'm wondering who did? I thought I was the only one logging on to do things like that?

solarisjedi
Developer

Post by solarisjedi » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks Savacc. If you guys need any dev help on the site I'm 20+ years full stack LAMP.

/cheers
---
Mr-Miagi

Neil
Novice Crafter

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:52 am

Thanks for putting up the query.

Slyvampy
Lead Developer

Post by Slyvampy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:01 pm

I will look in to this and discuss this further, however just a few initial thoughts.

1) the current schematics are based off two versions of the game both decided by SOE at the time and we have confirmed stats for each
2) we still lack mods to maintain these schematics or help the community at large with schematics and crafting etc.

My actual only concern is without correct moderation this could dramatically get out of hand (I did clean the servers list up about 9 months ago) but if this was to grow we would end up having so many implementations of schematics per server.
(Im thinking the best way is to implement a ADD new and a over-ride system for existing schematics) but again it still has the same implications with lack of moderation.

I could put out a poll to see if this is a feature that we can enough support behind to moderate it.

@solarisjedi it would probably better to help redevelop the site using its data and domain knowledge than try to understand and maintain its current codebase - I started this when PHP was in version 3 prior to object orientation, even though Subono has done n amazing job implementing things like the templating engine and making a-lot of classes and rewriting 90% of it, it overall is still a very volatile codebase :).
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:21 am

Welcome back Slyvampi,

I had some PMs with sobuno, maybe as much as a year ago or more. What we discussed was making "server groups" for schematic maintainers. One server could be a "server group" if that server had unique schematics and someone willing to input them into our database. In such a case the changes would only apply to that server and not a "server group" of pre-CU, CU or NGE. We don't have a CU database at this time, just pre-CU (Emu) and NGE (from before the shutdown). Sobuno started work on this, but will need to be finished, or redone.

That is just the issue of schematics. Servers are adding new planets and new resources, sometimes unique to their server, sometimes copying what another server has done. We have no way to add planets or resources to a server's database right now.

As for mods, I intend to be around on a daily basis to moderate this site. The bulk of the work, I envision, being done by volunteers from each server, for their server only. GH, is ahead of us in this area and my observation is that they have horrible moderation over there. We can do better.

solarisjedi
Developer

Post by solarisjedi » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Yeah groups/shards with overrides is how I would do it.
The servers would need a "type" switch on the backend (NGE/Pre-CU) if they don't already (this would also eliminate having to use NGE switch on bottom of pages), the site could just show relevant schems based on server selection. Then they all get vanilla schems based on type, any edits to that servers schems could be an override table. Tie the exports into this also for Aide and no longer a need to for two version of Aide etc. Would be the simplest way to do it imo. or just clone the base schems for every server but that could be wasteful on data. Resource classes could be done similar.

Of course saying this without knowing anything at all about current codebase heh. From what you say it sounds like a mess of layering new ontop of old code... starting from scratch and pulling/rewriting the good bits in probably the best way like you said. I've been around since php3 also and I am up to date on current php7.x as well as apache configurations. Could even get the site back to using SSL/TLS fairly easily using a free cloudflare setup (which would also drastically reduce bots hitting the site). Lots of things could be done to modernize and secure the site without incurring any additional monthly costs.

PM me if you would like my help on this and talk details.
---
Mr-Miagi

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Post by HydroTek » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Glad to see the interest in making schematics and resources specific to each server .. I play on Legends server and have noticed some of the schematics are inaccurate, but have not corrected them thinking it would mess some other parts up ...and yeah, have not asked about that either.

Still on the maintainers list last time I checked :)
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters(Legends): HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game

Slyvampy
Lead Developer

Post by Slyvampy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:57 am

schematics are inaccurate
There may be one or two mistakes from manual inputs but by in large the schematics for both NGE and pre-cu should be close to perfect. IF individual servers change them post, then thats down to them; this is I guess, why we need a system in place.

I would think that if any development work was put into this we would need a system of maintainers per server. If there is no offical maintainer then the request for that server should be denied and if a maintainer goes awol for 6+months then the schematics on that server should be disabled or such (to save overhead of servers going inactive).
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org