So What IS Beast Mastery exactly

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Beast Mastery Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

dikki10
Novice Crafter

So What IS Beast Mastery exactly

Post by dikki10 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Hiyas all I am totally new to the game having wandered over from WoW due to a love for Star Wars and a desire to play something a bit different. Love the fact its a game that requires considerably more thought and understanding :idea: but of course the flipside of that is boy can it be confusing. :!:

Currently running around on Euro Chimera with a Jedi and an engineering Trader ( both low levels ) and very much following my nose with both . My traders not high enough to build anything usefull yet and mostly been making wind generators and mineral harvesters to assemble mats.

My main question says it all. What actually is Beast Mastery ? :?: What do you get out of it and why do it and how to start it ? :?: I've not really been able to find a difinitive guide on it that starts at the very beginning. I've had enzymes drop off creature mobs and I believe that comes into it but other than that I have no idea. Could someone explain it for a complete newbie please as I don't even know enough about it to know whether its worth doing :lol: :lol:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: So What IS Beast Mastery exactly

Post by Zimoon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:15 pm

Any profession can be a Beast Master as a small side note to their main profession or as a powerful addition to their combat skills.

A crafter can use a pet as their support (defensive and/or offensive) in combat, though crafters aren't really meant for combat as we lack healing ability but can manage ourselves while equipped and buffed properly.

However, a crafter can pick as few points necessary to breed eggs for sale, but will be dependent on combateers for the top notch stuff to start with. Unless you settle or choose the niche for eggs for mounts.

So, there is two sides to BM. Looking at the Expertize tree you see the right hand side is all about crafting eggs, while the left hand side is all about handling your combat pet. You need no skill to travel on a mount.

Since you easily can redo your expertize template you can just test what is fun to you. First reworks are free, then an increasing fee each expertize reset.

I am sure I didn't answer all of your questions, mainly since I only have done eggs for mounts myself. Initially they sold very well but the novelty about BM has settled and now both prices and demand is much lower.

Welcome to SWGCraft and to the crafting community as such.

For DE I recommend the Beginners Guide for Traders in the General Crafting forum as well as the "DE 101" linked to in the FAQ at the official forum for Engineers (down atm for maintenance).

/Zimoon

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:16 pm

A long time ago, well about 2 years, SWG had multiple professions (about 40), these where condensed into the 9 current ones we now have. When we had the 40 or so there where two that where relevant to pets/beasts, these where bio engineer and creature handler.

The bio engineer was the guy/gal who basically made the pets, the creature handler was a seperate profession that could control multiple pets in combat. With the new beast master system they combined both bio eng and creature handler into one sub profession that anyone could take if they where willing to spend expertise points in it. The right side of the BM expertise is the crafting side (bio eng), the left side is the combat side which allows any player who has spent the points the ability to control one pet (up to lvl 90) in combat. The more expertise points you spend in the BM trees the less you have to spend in your chosen professions expertise abilities. Medic/BM is probably the strongest hybrid template due to the huge healing ability that a medic could throw onto his/her pet, i myself use a commando/BM and find it a great combo to use in a group.

Be wary about the crafting side of it, it can take a lot of credits to set yourself up to start and produce high end combat pets. The sub components that are used are all made by the three non structures traders, the final parts are made by structures traders. This means aquiring stuff can be troublesome if you want to make all/some your own gear. The other cost is if you just want to buy a pet to try it out, high end combat pets ie.. 60pt pets or legacy DNA crafted pets, are very expensive, typically 1mill creds per point for a non mutated non legacy DNA pet is where a lot of them start at in price.

One last thing to consider is your jedi profession, currently jedi/BM's lose quite a bit of skills when they decide to try out pet combat. If i where you i would wait till the jedi update is out to live before i would try it, by the sound of it there entire expertise is getting reworked and it could be a slightly better combo to use than the current options.

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:42 am

Any idea when Jedi updates? Have they announced the order they're updating in?
/Ibaum

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:02 am

Ibaum wrote:Any idea when Jedi updates? Have they announced the order they're updating in?
Not to my knowledge.
/Z

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:20 pm

Update 2 is today, expect update 3 (jedi/BH)to hit in 4 weeks or so.

blindxsecrets
Novice Crafter

Post by blindxsecrets » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:31 am

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I also play on Chimera. I have all four traders there, 3 of which can make pets. Though I haven't done *too* much with my traders yet, mostly just making parts for myself, my stash of resources isn't terribly horrible either and I can probably help you get set up if you'd like. Though it has been a few months since your post, I figured I'd offer anyway. At least to see how you are doing.

I have eight toons (which can get more than a little confusing for the people that know me, lol). Cerryn is my main BM. If you ever want any help, be sure to drop me a tell or a mail. =) And good luck!
Akantha (90 Jedi [ls]), Akakla (90 ent [buffing]), Kavindra (legacy medic), Casseve (legacy smuggler), Eossa (90 Domestics [food/clothing]), Anasati (90 Structures [structures/starship]), Cerryn (90 Engineer [droids/mounts]), Sidrona (90 Munitions [armor/weapons])