is it me? or my droid?

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Droid Engineer Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

atox
Apprentice Crafter

is it me? or my droid?

Post by atox » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:09 pm

i respected my alt architect to de. mainly for a harvester and battle droid. so with on hand materials and the forums i staggered my way to my first droideka not so good only lvl 30. anyways when i try to program him to "group" his response is "?" i vaguely remember you have to keep repeating this until he learns it. after awhile i started counting "?'s" im now at 50 and he wont learn. is it me or him? thanks atox

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: is it me? or my droid?

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 pm

You click Program >> Group and he should respond with a ?

In spatial you say whatever you want to program for group. One time is enough. You should now be able to read what you have programmed him to in the Datapad >> Data.

I believe you confuse the several times with naming him. For that you have to "program" him to something but include his name as the first word, for example program him to follow by saying "Zimster follow" three or four times, then he turns Zimster and you can program follow to whatever.

If this does not work, how do you do it, in detail?

/Zimoon

atox
Apprentice Crafter

Post by atox » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:58 pm

seems to be working now. when i told him to group, follow etc. i did so /follow and it didnt work but just "follow" works. not sure if he's actually grouped with me. told him "group". then "attack" which he did. im going to assume we were grouped as he hit the mob first, and when it died i was able to harvest. although there was no harvest bonus i guess i expected to see him listed under my name. but anyway thanks for the response, you saved me several hours of needless clicking on him, to the point where i would have killed him :)

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:19 pm

Try this guide for Droid Users
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=488035

I dont see a specific discription on how to activate a harvesting droid. Just from memory I recall there is an "auto harvest on" "auto harvest off" toggle and a way to program the droid to harvest your choice of "meat", "bones" or "hide". With the "auto harvest off" I believe you would be required to target the corpse and give the "harvest" command to your droid.

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:17 am

Savacc wrote:Try this guide for Droid Users
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=488035

I dont see a specific discription on how to activate a harvesting droid. Just from memory I recall there is an "auto harvest on" "auto harvest off" toggle and a way to program the droid to harvest your choice of "meat", "bones" or "hide". With the "auto harvest off" I believe you would be required to target the corpse and give the "harvest" command to your droid.

That is correct. And you should be able to see your droid as part of you group, just as you would another player. Attacking and guarding can be accomplished while not grouped, but you do get a harvest bonus when grouped even if your droid does the harvesting. If you don't want to use auto harvest you can also program that command under harvest options.

- Akhor
Flurry
Akhor Slaga, Architect; Akihawa Aceric, Chef
Catalina Market, Rori, Flurry
1548, 75, -5884

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:25 am

Grouping with a droid gives no bonus. In fact, there is a bug which makes the droid stop following you if it is grouped with you. You will often have to call for it to come.

More details in http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewto ... 1595#p1595

/Zimoon

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:56 pm

Are you sure your droid's not bugged? I just tested this today and got more hide when I was grouped with my droid. Also telling your droid to guard while grouped makes him rush to your aide when you get attacked. I had problems with one droid when harvesting, so UncleFester made me a new one and I haven't had a glitch.
1548, 75, -5884

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:15 pm

redwhitenblue wrote:Are you sure your droid's not bugged? I just tested this today and got more hide when I was grouped with my droid. Also telling your droid to guard while grouped makes him rush to your aide when you get attacked. I had problems with one droid when harvesting, so UncleFester made me a new one and I haven't had a glitch.
I am not sure since anything can change at any time :(
But it was sure when Red-Dwarf made that test. Did you move between your tests? I ask since you might have passed a border for the "concentration" of the yield.

/Zimoon

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:17 pm

I will be sure to run that test again and stand absolutely still. :D I didn't realize there were different concentrations, I mostly just kill animals when I need to clear a spot for my harvester. Since there are few things that actually require hide for structure this is usually enough to support my business. Does the concentration apply to all animals equally or is it like other resources where each one will have a different concentration in each area?
1548, 75, -5884

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:34 pm

I ran the test again, and you are correct. I got the same amount of resources from my droid whether we were grouped or not, as long as I stayed in the same spot. So I guess there is no reason to group with your droid.
1548, 75, -5884

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:34 pm

redwhitenblue wrote:I ran the test again, and you are correct. I got the same amount of resources from my droid whether we were grouped or not, as long as I stayed in the same spot. So I guess there is no reason to group with your droid.
Thanks for testing this, good to know that the Devs have not yet again "fixed" something silently :P
/Z

dmac1024
Novice Crafter

Post by dmac1024 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:24 pm

Some of the commands I use with my droid are:

/tellp guard
/tellp group
/tellp follow

This method does not rely on spacial chat and seems to work well for me. As far as the bonus on harvesting goes, there is no bonus other than what you have with the harvesting modules. Now if you had another player in the group with the droid active, then you would get the group bonus as well as the harvesting bonus on the droid. :D

Sakh
Novice Crafter

Post by Sakh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:08 pm

Xhaba wrote:How to (re)name, program a droid:

1.) Call Your droid. (If it’s a deed, use the ’ready droid unit’ command from the deed’s radial-menu. After You’ve done this once, You will find the droid in Your datapad – tho I’d advise to drag and drop it to Your toolbar – to make it easily callable.)

2.) Once called, hold the cursor over Your droid, and choose ’Program’ from radial-menu – now You can see the available abilities of Your droid, with the commands attached to those. At a new droid, the abilities and the commands are the same (e.g. Attack – attack). Click on the row of the ability ’Attack’ to program its command (and hit 'Train'). Your droid responses with a question mark ’?’ – now it’s ready to learn the new command. Type ’Mikrobi at’ (in this case, ’Mikrobi’ means the name, how I’d like to name my droid, and ’at’ means the command for ’attack’) into spatial ’Chat’ channel. The droid will response with an exclamation mark ’!’ – it’s learnt the new command. Do this 3 more times, with 3 other abilities/commands (e.g. ’Mikrobi st’ – for ’Stay’, ’Mikrobi gr’ – for ’Group’ etc.). After teaching the 4th commands, the droid will response with ’Mikrobi?’ and a few seconds later ’Mikrobi’ will appear over it – You’ve successfully (re)named Your droid.

3.) Now start the whole process again from the beginning – because now You should type ’Mikrobi at’ into the spatial ’Chat’ channel, to order Your droid to attack. So the process above is to (re)name Your droid, not to teach it the commands. So choose ’Program’ from the radial-menu, click on the ’Attack – Mikrobi at’ row, hit 'Train', and type only ’at’ (or anything else – which You would like to use as the command for ’attack’) into spatial ’Chat’ channel. Do this with all the abilities, that You would like to use in the future (e.g. ’st’ for ’Stay’ etc.). Finally, You’ve named Your droid ’Mikrobi’, and taught it the commands. *cheers* Now it’s enough to type ’at’ to order it to attack, or ’st’ to stay it etc. Your droid only accept the commands, if You type those into spatial ’Chat’ channel!

Small hint: Instead of typing the commands into spatial 'Chat' channel, rather use the /tellpet command, to avoid spamming the spatial 'Chat' channel (ie. '/tellpet at' to order Your droid to attack - if 'at' is Your command attached to its 'Attack' ability). Noone likes to see the 'Chat' full of 'st', 'ft', 'at' etc. "sentences"- which is understandable. Personally, I'd say that to (re)name, or to program a droid is more quick by only typing the commands into spatial 'Chat' channel (these are usually single cases) with less typing, but for the usage of the droid (or its "macroed" commands), it's better to use the '/tellpet' command.('/tellpet' commands must consist at least 2 letters - that's why I advised above to set 'at' for 'Attack', instead of just simply 'a')

How to make a droid easily handleable via „macros”: of course, there are droids and cases, when You have the time to use its radial-menu, or to type the appropriate command into spatial ’Chat’ channel (ie. choose ’Set harvest interest’ or ’Turn on/off effects’ from radial-menu, or type ’follow me’ or ’fm’ into spatial ’Chat’ channel - or with the '/tellpet' command, when You aren’t in a hurry). But also there are cases, when You don’t have time to do this (e.g. in combat) – in these cases, the ’one hit command’ can be handy.
Create short, one line „macros”, like ’/tellpet ft’ – when ’ft’ is the attached command for Your droid’s ’Follow target’ ability; or like ’/tellpet at’ – when ’at’ is the attached command for Your droid’s ’Attack’ ability etc. You can place these „macros” to Your toolbar (e.g. place the two „macros” above to Your toolbar’s first ’1’ and second ’2’ slot. Now, if an enemy attacks You, You just target it/her/him, and hit the ’1’ and ’2’ buttons, and Your droid will follow and attack Your target. (Nowadays I'd rather advise to use 1 macro with /tellpet fm /tellpet gu (where 'fm' means follow, and 'gu' means guard) - but when I wrote the original guide, the "guard" option didn't work yet, that's why I used the "attack".)

"How to (re)customize a droid: since in a former publish SOE made this to be a bit difficult, many believe, that the droid customization kits are bugged. No, they aren't - they (almost) work as intended (with the usage of a little trick). If You try to use it as You would use the vehicle customization kit (call droid, choose "use" from the kit's radial - or click on the kit in the toolbar), You will get the message: "You may only use this tool to customize droid pets.". You will get the same message, even if You targeted Your droid, and it is Your intended target. Of course, You called Your droid, and Your droid is Your droid pet, and of course You know this, but the game-system isn't as wise as You, it seems. So what to do, is:

1.) Call Your droid (If it's a deed, use the "ready droid unit" command from the deed's radial-menu. After You've done this once, You will find the droid in Your datapad - tho I'd advise to drag and drop it to Your toolbar, to make it easily callable.).

2.) Place (drag and drop from Your inventory) Your droid customization kit to Your toolbar.

3.) HOLD THE CURSOR OVER YOUR DROID! (It isn't needed to target it, to make it to be Your intended target etc. - that means nothing to the system. Just hold Your cursor over it.)

4.) Now launch the customization kit from Your toolbar, by hitting the button, which the kit is attached to (ie. "1" etc.).

5.) Now You should get the usual, well known window for customization(s), and You can (re)colour Your droid, with the usual method.
(maybe there are other methods too, to customize Your droid, but this one works well - even if it seems to be a bit complicated)"

Other small hints/comments:
1.) Don't be afraid letting Your droid "die" in combat - it won't vanish (sadly - hey hey, I'm a DE...), it will just "go back" into Your datapad with 0 health. Next time, when You call it in an "out of combat" case, it will get its health fully back in a few seconds/minutes (depends on the droid's type, health etc.). So You won't need to buy an other one *sniff*, it's enough to buy a certain type of droid only once. :(

Have a nice day, and have fun with Your droid companion/pet! :D

Sakh